Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Question for people who have gotten commissions done: What do you do if it doesn’t look like what you wanted? I’ve been nervous to get a commission done because even though many artisans don’t charge up from, I don’t think I could pass on it, even though I don’t love the result. Also, can you say “for X reasons I don’t think the pipe quite hit the mark; would you be interested in trying to make another pipe with those things adjusted?” Or is that disrespectful or just plain obtuse?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
All about personal preference. Though I can understand the appeal, I've not seen an Alden that I'd part money for.
Fair enough - taste is personal. But, I think these are pretty good examples of his work. The difference is that you, knowing that you wouldn’t part with your money for his work, likely wouldn’t ask him to start 2 new projects for you either. 🤣

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Question for people who have gotten commissions done: What do you do if it doesn’t look like what you wanted? I’ve been nervous to get a commission done because even though many artisans don’t charge up from, I don’t think I could pass on it, even though I don’t love the result.

Pictures speak louder than words

1) Find an existing pipe online you like that your guy already made.

2) Ask him if he could/would make the same pipe again with X changes (meaning things like stem length, finish color, overall size, stem material color, etc.)

The result? Clear communication and expectation on BOTH sides of the transaction.

A verbal description alone, or a submitted sketch, rarely works out for too many reasons to list.

Finally, if the pic you like is a smooth or otherwise dependent on wood size or grain, understand that the wait time for the right block to come along could be significant.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Pictures speak louder than words

1) Find an existing pipe online you like that your guy already made.

2) Ask him if he could/would make the same pipe again with X changes (meaning things like stem length, finish color, overall size, stem material color, etc.)

The result? Clear communication and expectation on BOTH sides of the transaction.

A verbal description alone, or a submitted sketch, rarely works out for too many reasons to list.

Finally, if the pic you like is a smooth or otherwise dependent on wood size or grain, understand that the wait time for the right block to come along could be significant.
Thanks, George. You’re right about the clear communication. I think I’m nervous about stepping on someone’s toes when communicating what I’d like. I certainly am looking for their artistic license and wouldn’t want my communication to seem like I’m trying to box in their work/creativity.

I probably just need to not overthink it too much 😅