PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd never do business with that "buyer". Maybe he got cold feet about spending money because there's nothing to dislike about those pipes. Things like this are why I require prior payment for my artwork when I sell it.
Who knows what they wanted. And who knows how much of monosylabic idjit that people are first compliment for how much gooder their English is getting before figuring out it is their first language. So probably the CEO of a massively successful company. (that's the real secret to having a hugely successful company. Have a CEO or leader no one understands, and then hire really good people under them, let those people guess what the top guy meant by throwing bananas at people while making fart noises).
Though not what I would have a custom job but really nice pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've never refused a pipe I commissioned. They don't always represent EXACTLY what I asked for, but if they're close, I'm good. For example, you can't predict how a blast will come out. The wood dictates. Sometimes it's even better than I could have hoped, other times it's just different. I'm very careful about who I've given a commission. Regardless of the result I know that the pipe is the best a truly gifted and conscientious artist could make.

When I first started art directing I quickly learned that the artist I assigned to do a painting would do it differently from how I would do it. That's just how it is. Every artist has their own sensibility. As long as the end result worked I learned to accept it and to sometimes appreciate that the artist came up with something really good that I hadn't considered. On the other hand, if the result really didn't work, or the director was unhappy with it, and the artist couldn't understand what needed to change, I'd revise the painting myself.
it's not all bad if someone rejects a commission for the carver. It's a pain in the butt. But they'll probably sell the pipe to someone who is going to feel like they got a great deal and is going to be super happy with the pipes. They come with a built in story. This carver just got more advertising then if the original person kept it. People love nice things and they love hearing about good deals too. What I am saying is unless you're being impossibly picky it's better to reject a commission and let the seller get his work to someone that will love it, then to have a disappointed customer. Which is why if you are impossibly picky you should lead with that and see if it's something they'll comfortably promises. But as much of a pain in the ass as it is to have a commission rejected. I'd rather not have someone pay for a disappointment. And that's from a totally selfish stand. I'd rather loss some money that I thought I'd get from one sale by discounting then having an angry or unsatisfied customer talking about why they'll never get a commission from me. Doesn't mean I won't make fun of them in private.
Oh and thanks I just love little nuts and bolts stuff about larger projects like movies or multiartist installations that hold coherence. It's like a cute little microcosm of larger society. Like a diorama. All these weirdos with their own ideas of how things work and this weird sense of what the heck is the invisible glue that keeps this all from turning into a train wreck.