PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Question for people who have gotten commissions done: What do you do if it doesn’t look like what you wanted? I’ve been nervous to get a commission done because even though many artisans don’t charge up from, I don’t think I could pass on it, even though I don’t love the result. Also, can you say “for X reasons I don’t think the pipe quite hit the mark; would you be interested in trying to make another pipe with those things adjusted?” Or is that disrespectful or just plain obtuse?
I've never refused a pipe I commissioned. They don't always represent EXACTLY what I asked for, but if they're close, I'm good. For example, you can't predict how a blast will come out. The wood dictates. Sometimes it's even better than I could have hoped, other times it's just different. I'm very careful about who I've given a commission. Regardless of the result I know that the pipe is the best a truly gifted and conscientious artist could make.

When I first started art directing I quickly learned that the artist I assigned to do a painting would do it differently from how I would do it. That's just how it is. Every artist has their own sensibility. As long as the end result worked I learned to accept it and to sometimes appreciate that the artist came up with something really good that I hadn't considered. On the other hand, if the result really didn't work, or the director was unhappy with it, and the artist couldn't understand what needed to change, I'd revise the painting myself.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've never refused a pipe I commissioned. They don't always represent EXACTLY what I asked for, but if they're close, I'm good. For example, you can't predict how a blast will come out. The wood dictates. Sometimes it's even better than I could have hoped, other times it's just different. I'm very careful about who I've given a commission. Regardless of the result I know that the pipe is the best a truly gifted and conscientious artist could make.

When I first started art directing I quickly learned that the artist I assigned to do a painting would do it differently from how I would do it. That's just how it is. Every artist has their own sensibility. As long as the end result worked I learned to accept it and to sometimes appreciate that the artist came up with something really good that I hadn't considered. On the other hand, if the result really didn't work, or the director was unhappy with it, and the artist couldn't understand what needed to change, I'd revise the painting myself.
Yup that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the answer but now you’ve led me to more questions!

What is art directing and how does it work? How long have you done it? And what art have you produced? So many questions, so much wonder; please enlighten us! 🙇‍♂️

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yup that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the answer but now you’ve led me to more questions!

What is art directing and how does it work? How long have you done it? And what art have you produced? So many questions, so much wonder; please enlighten us! 🙇‍♂️
An art director on a show oversees all of the visual elements created to dress that show, sets, props, etc. The range varies depending on the nature of the project. Also, your job is to bring the director's vision to the screen as beast as you can. My first actual job of art direction, though I didn't realize that I was doing it at the time, was on one of my first shows, TRON. I was originally hired to paint background paintings for the Electronic World, but got bumped up to supervising all of the background paintings, and directing how they were painted, as well as contributing a lot of designs, based on the conceptual work of Syd Mead and Mobius.
As a traditional matte artist I provided art direction on the shots I did, and often directed the work of other matte artists. I provided VFX art direction for a number of films, including Coneheads, The Core, Mars Attacks!, A Little Princess, and two of the Batman films made in the latter '90's.
I did much the same thing for a number of animated projects when I left visual effects to enter animation. These days I supervise color on Harley Quinn, but have also taken on art direction when the director was not happy with what the credited art director produced. While the scope of what I do is mostly limited to the characters, props, and FX animation, I'm generally entrusted to run those parts of the show without the show's art director being involved. It's a little weird, but it's how the showrunners want it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Someone commissioned two pipes and didn’t like the result. So Ryan contacted me and asked if I was interested in “castoffs”, of course I said yes.

The dimensions are the same at 5.16” x 1.95”, chamber is .75” x 1.5”

The Strawberry Briar (Cumberland Stem) weighs 28 grams
The Briar weighs 32 grams

View attachment 242697View attachment 242698View attachment 242699View attachment 242700View attachment 242701View attachment 242702View attachment 242703View attachment 242704View attachment 242705View attachment 242706
Congrats; how could anyone not like such beautiful pipes.

Reactions: kcghost

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
An art director on a show oversees all of the visual elements created to dress that show, sets, props, etc. The range varies depending on the nature of the project. Also, your job is to bring the director's vision to the screen as beast as you can. My first actual job of art direction, though I didn't realize that I was doing it at the time, was on one of my first shows, TRON. I was originally hired to paint background paintings for the Electronic World, but got bumped up to supervising all of the background paintings, and directing how they were painted, as well as contributing a lot of designs, based on the conceptual work of Syd Mead and Mobius.
As a traditional matte artist I provided art direction on the shots I did, and often directed the work of other matte artists. I provided VFX art direction for a number of films, including Coneheads, The Core, Mars Attacks!, A Little Princess, and two of the Batman films made in the latter '90's.
I did much the same thing for a number of animated projects when I left visual effects to enter animation. These days I supervise color on Harley Quinn, but have also taken on art direction when the director was not happy with what the credited art director produced. While the scope of what I do is mostly limited to the characters, props, and FX animation, I'm generally entrusted to run those parts of the show without the show's art director being involved. It's a little weird, but it's how the showrunners want it.
Not to mention Total Recall!

So be honest.. did you meet the chick with the three tits?