PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Great point. Drying is something I need to do a better job. I just need to plan ahead and make sure I leave time to dry, and identify which blends need more or less drying time. Thanks very much!

I actually do use a Bic most of the time and I was planning on researching lighting technique today, so your reply was very timely. I'm sure I often place the flame directly on the tobacco. I need to "hover" more. I appreciate the great help here on this.

If I am smoking more than one bowl in a session, as I do most evenings, I'll leave some tobacco for my next bowl to dry. Once it gets to the desired moisture level, I'll pack it into a pipe and by the time I finish my current bowl, the tobacco won't have dried much more in the pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Thanks to the wealth of information in this forum, as well as through some trial and error, I have been able to diagnose two dumb things and one common issue that I need to address as a new pipe smoker (~2 months):

Dumb Thing #1 – Lighting too hard. I was so busy with packing and cadence, I let myself rush over this step in the process. I’ve been sucking the flame so hard into the bowl, it’s a wonder it didn’t shoot through the stem. This is probably a big reason for the tongue and lip bite I’ve had since yesterday afternoon’s smoke. It was a mistake to gloss over this step. There’s more to it than just negligently introducing flame to tobacco.

Dumb Thing # 2 - Stem placement. I kept putting the stem too far into my mouth, even if only by a half inch. That put it closer to my tongue, therefore easier to get burn/bite. I should slap myself for this one.

Common Issue: Cadence. Not a new or unique issue, of course. I know I need to go slow, and I thought I was going slow. But this gem of a post from cosmicfolklore written 5 ½ years ago sheds a lot of light on what “slow smoking” really is. I encourage anyone new to pipe smoking to read his post and the responses. He included some deeper reasoning beyond the standard “smoke slow to get more taste and prevent tongue bite” advice. Maybe after working on this more, I will be able to internalize a better cadence and be able to smoke the pipe while doing activities. For now, if I’m doing something else while smoking, my cadence gets too fast, even while consciously trying variations on the breathing method.

After letting my tongue and lip bite heal for a few days (nasty metallic taste), I'll be able to put these three things together for improved smoking.

Thanks to everyone here who has posted words of wisdom on the site, in many cases for many years. If you see a “Like” on an old post, it may be me, lurking in the archives.
I like using matches to likght my pipe
It is harder to light (especily on windy days, but its easier not to get a softer light to not get that toung bite right off the bat.

I always feel for that little lip on the end of the stam when I feel it aginst my teeth I know im good on where it us in my mouth. And over time I have gottten a feel for knowing where a pipe even without the lip on the stem is and where it feels right for me.

Like every one smoking to fast was a problem for me, but over time ypu will get to a point were you will smoke slow enoughwhere it will go out once or twice and habe to relight but learn its okay if your oipe goes out.aslong as tour not getting toungbite tou can enjoy the flavor of your tobacco thats one of the main things pipe smokung is.

Reactions: Jef and Bowie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Maybe after working on this more, I will be able to internalize a better cadence and be able to smoke the pipe while doing activities. For now, if I’m doing something else while smoking, my cadence gets too fast, even while consciously trying variations on the breathing method.
Guess what it still works that way for me. If I am talking with someone on a phone I'll burn the shit out of my tongue or if I am trying to work on something. Strangely if I try to write while smoking my cadence is fine. Biggest difference is simply how fast I react to going to fast, so it's not too bad. But part of the fun of pipes is you have to learn things and can keep getting better after decades.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Lots of great tips and observations above.

1) Take your time lighting the bowl. You don’t have to get the entire surface burning on the first flick. Incinerating the leaf mercilessly flavors the leaf below it with less pleasant flavors. It’s the volatiles being slowly released from the unburnt leaf in a bowl that we’re really enjoying.

2) Dry the tobacco if needed, most blends need at least a minute or two. Some much more.

3) Slow down and enjoy.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I believe that the best instrument to light a pipe is a good old wooden match. Second is my zippo pipe lighter. A "soft" flame is the way to go. Everything in pipe smoking should be slow. How else can you get enjoyment and relaxation smoking. Smoking a fine pipe is like enjoying a good steak or a glass of Gentleman Jack. Taking your time greatly enhances the flavor over wolfing it down.

Get yourself in a peaceful setting when you don't have to be anywhere for anybody. Then light slow and smoke slow. Who gives a damn how many times you have to light it? Tell the world to go to hell for awhile and enjoy some me time. You will discover techniques that will work for you making the prescious time that you have more enjoyable. And Brother....that's what it is all about.

Jef

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe that the best instrument to light a pipe is a good old wooden match. Second is my zippo pipe lighter. A "soft" flame is the way to go. << Snipped bits out >>

Any tool for lighting can be made into a "soft" flame. Butane is better than matches as you don't have to burn away the sulphur, and way better than Zippo as you don't have to put up with the smell of the fuel. When possible, I use wooden matches for initial light, and refillable butanes for relights.

It's a question of initial BTU's from the device, altered by time and distance. The further away you hold it does the obvious, as well as how long the heat is applied. Yes, a gentle ignition is "a good thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.