PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks to the wealth of information in this forum, as well as through some trial and error, I have been able to diagnose two dumb things and one common issue that I need to address as a new pipe smoker (~2 months):

Dumb Thing #1 – Lighting too hard. I was so busy with packing and cadence, I let myself rush over this step in the process. I’ve been sucking the flame so hard into the bowl, it’s a wonder it didn’t shoot through the stem. This is probably a big reason for the tongue and lip bite I’ve had since yesterday afternoon’s smoke. It was a mistake to gloss over this step. There’s more to it than just negligently introducing flame to tobacco.

Dumb Thing # 2 - Stem placement. I kept putting the stem too far into my mouth, even if only by a half inch. That put it closer to my tongue, therefore easier to get burn/bite. I should slap myself for this one.

Common Issue: Cadence. Not a new or unique issue, of course. I know I need to go slow, and I thought I was going slow. But this gem of a post from cosmicfolklore written 5 ½ years ago sheds a lot of light on what “slow smoking” really is. I encourage anyone new to pipe smoking to read his post and the responses. He included some deeper reasoning beyond the standard “smoke slow to get more taste and prevent tongue bite” advice. Maybe after working on this more, I will be able to internalize a better cadence and be able to smoke the pipe while doing activities. For now, if I’m doing something else while smoking, my cadence gets too fast, even while consciously trying variations on the breathing method.

After letting my tongue and lip bite heal for a few days (nasty metallic taste), I'll be able to put these three things together for improved smoking.

Thanks to everyone here who has posted words of wisdom on the site, in many cases for many years. If you see a “Like” on an old post, it may be me, lurking in the archives.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Bowie, at one point I used one of those torch lighters to light my pipe. So efficient (insert sarcasm here). It's not like I've been a piper a long time either. These honest posts are good for others to see that a lot of us are still working on the fundamentals and that's OK. Thankfully, there are a lot of patient briar brothers here to assist. Lately, I have been working on the slow-down. I am making progress.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Thanks to the wealth of information in this forum, as well as through some trial and error, I have been able to diagnose two dumb things and one common issue that I need to address as a new pipe smoker (~2 months):

Dumb Thing #1 – Lighting too hard. I was so busy with packing and cadence, I let myself rush over this step in the process. I’ve been sucking the flame so hard into the bowl, it’s a wonder it didn’t shoot through the stem. This is probably a big reason for the tongue and lip bite I’ve had since yesterday afternoon’s smoke. It was a mistake to gloss over this step. There’s more to it than just negligently introducing flame to tobacco.

Dumb Thing # 2 - Stem placement. I kept putting the stem too far into my mouth, even if only by a half inch. That put it closer to my tongue, therefore easier to get burn/bite. I should slap myself for this one.

Common Issue: Cadence. Not a new or unique issue, of course. I know I need to go slow, and I thought I was going slow. But this gem of a post from cosmicfolklore written 5 ½ years ago sheds a lot of light on what “slow smoking” really is. I encourage anyone new to pipe smoking to read his post and the responses. He included some deeper reasoning beyond the standard “smoke slow to get more taste and prevent tongue bite” advice. Maybe after working on this more, I will be able to internalize a better cadence and be able to smoke the pipe while doing activities. For now, if I’m doing something else while smoking, my cadence gets too fast, even while consciously trying variations on the breathing method.

After letting my tongue and lip bite heal for a few days (nasty metallic taste), I'll be able to put these three things together for improved smoking.

Thanks to everyone here who has posted words of wisdom on the site, in many cases for many years. If you see a “Like” on an old post, it may be me, lurking in the archives.
Newbie perils indeed. Seems you are enjoying your journey of discovery, as I am.

Mar 1, 2014
Lighting is still my biggest issue. You can learn to sip at a near non-existent cadence all you like, but one or two big draws to get the pipe lit will do practically as much damage as a whole bowl puffed too quickly.
I'm pretty sure my mouth is more sensitive than most, but I'm also 99% certain if I could get someone else to light my pipes for me I'd have the recipe for a perfect pipesmoking experience (and yes I tried to rig up a pump to do the job, making an artificial mouth to interface with the bit is a real challenge).
Thus, I'm a big fan of using large jet torches for lighting, something that will sufficiently cook your tobacco without any puffing, you just have to dedicate some pipes to a fiery doom.
Or make some of these: Cob Mods :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/cob-mods.45787/
Then the problem after that is I can't find a reliable Butane torch, and Butane doesn't burn well when it's 10-20 degrees below freezing, so I can't use them for half the year anyway.

On the upside I have received my Electric Ark lighters and they seem to be in good working order, now I just need to make time for a few bowls again.

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Bowie, at one point I used one of those torch lighters to light my pipe. So efficient (insert sarcasm here). It's not like I've been a piper a long time either. These honest posts are good for others to see that a lot of us are still working on the fundamentals and that's OK. Thankfully, there are a lot of patient briar brothers here to assist. Lately, I have been working on the slow-down. I am making progress.
Thanks, and you are certainly right, there is certainly a lot of patience and help here for new smokers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
You should try drying your tobacco sufficiently so you don't need massive doses of BTU's to ignite the tobacco.

With a torch, you can hold the tip of the flame a good inch away from the tobacco and get a nice light. Otherwise, scorched rims and tobacco.
Two good pieces of advice to heed. Thank you!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Lighting is still my biggest issue. You can learn to sip at a near non-existent cadence all you like, but one or two big draws to get the pipe lit will do practically as much damage as a whole bowl puffed too quickly.
I'm pretty sure my mouth is more sensitive than most, but I'm also 99% certain if I could get someone else to light my pipes for me I'd have the recipe for a perfect pipesmoking experience (and yes I tried to rig up a pump to do the job, making an artificial mouth to interface with the bit is a real challenge).
Thus, I'm a big fan of using large jet torches for lighting, something that will sufficiently cook your tobacco without any puffing, you just have to dedicate some pipes to a fiery doom.
Or make some of these: Cob Mods :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/cob-mods.45787/
Then the problem after that is I can't find a reliable Butane torch, and Butane doesn't burn well when it's 10-20 degrees below freezing, so I can't use them for half the year anyway.

On the upside I have received my Electric Ark lighters and they seem to be in good working order, now I just need to make time for a few bowls again.
Please let us know how the electric arc lighter works out.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You should try drying your tobacco sufficiently so you don't need massive doses of BTU's to ignite the tobacco.

With a torch, you can hold the tip of the flame a good inch away from the tobacco and get a nice light. Otherwise, scorched rims and tobacco.
Ever since I figured out how dry I like my tobacco, my smokes have rarely been less than stellar. I dry my tobacco so much, that I can crumble it to tiny pieces. Some of the tobacco turns into a dust, or like snuff, and I enjoy it like that. Lights easy, packs easy, and stays lit for the whole bowl most days.

Shown here on the rim of my pipe.

Last edited:
Thank you,
I was wondering why so many people were "thumbs up'ing" my old post when it wasn't even in the current rotation of topics. I am honored.
I might also suggest holding a flame about half an inch over the bowl and just drawing the heat down to the tobacco to start the ignition... especially if you are using a Bic. Youy don't have to actually get flame to touch the tobacco to start it. And, I get a more even burn from the get go. And, don't point a lighter into the bowl. That is just asking for problems.

It's just a suggestion, and I have found that it saves my rims and gives me a much better tasting bowl from start to finish. Maybe worth a try?

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I dry my tobacco so much, that I can crumble it to tiny pieces
Great point. Drying is something I need to do a better job. I just need to plan ahead and make sure I leave time to dry, and identify which blends need more or less drying time. Thanks very much!

It's just a suggestion, and I have found that it saves my rims and gives me a much better tasting bowl from start to finish. Maybe worth a try?

I actually do use a Bic most of the time and I was planning on researching lighting technique today, so your reply was very timely. I'm sure I often place the flame directly on the tobacco. I need to "hover" more. I appreciate the great help here on this.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I can relate to all the above. As far as steam goes... I've learned to let my tobacco sit out a bit and dry. (One bowl at a time.) And If I hear a slurp or gurgle, I lightly tap the stem on my knuckle to get the moisture out. (I often wonder if this is unusal or if other pipe smokers do this.) Haven't had many problems with tounge bite since. Also your tounge just gets use to it and it stops. Or so I've experienced. Welcome by the way, been quite busy so I've neglected the forum. Great people here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another way to go at this ... pipe smoking requires a different mind set than most of us cultivate growing up. The hard charging, over-achieving, hyperactive modes that we are encouraged to follow certainly help attain some goals in life. I'm not suggesting all of those or any be entirely abandoned if they are serving you well. But a calmer, more centered, more receptive and relaxed mode is equally important, especially in family relationships and downtime activities, and in reaching contemplative places and some happiness in life intermittent with accomplishing what you can. Likewise, pipe smoking requires easing back into a kind of revery and contentment.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Another way to go at this ... pipe smoking requires a different mind set than most of us cultivate growing up. The hard charging, over-achieving, hyperactive modes that we are encouraged to follow certainly help attain some goals in life. I'm not suggesting all of those or any be entirely abandoned if they are serving you well. But a calmer, more centered, more receptive and relaxed mode is equally important, especially in family relationships and downtime activities, and in reaching contemplative places and some happiness in life intermittent with accomplishing what you can. Likewise, pipe smoking requires easing back into a kind of revery and contentment.

I totally agree. A bowl on the patio is my alpha male equivalent of meditation without the crystals or yoga without the yoga pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.