PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think much of the Viking mystique evolved from the fact that they were quite tall for the day and age, where an average man was about 5'4", they were well accustomed to living life in very harsh conditions and when needed, were comfortable with a level of violence that even bothered people bac then, who were used to fighting being up close and personal anyway.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
My interest spiked years ago with a few novels, and last year I read the Poetic Edda, but have not had the willpower to force myself through a roughly translated Elder Edda. To those that don't know, these are stories about their deities that they had describing creation and such.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
If you're interested in vikings, you would probably enjoy Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead. It's fiction of course but from what I can remember, quite entertaining. You can probably pick up a used paperback on amazon for $4.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Ha! This thread really had me fooled. When I looked at the title I was sure the subject was Dr. Grabow's Vikings.

Please remember that there are international posters on this forum, so when you refer to a national TV broadcast, perhaps you should make this a bit clearer...

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Well, there are quite a few Danish makes with Viking 'surnames' and of course the Dr. Grabow Viking whose production was halted because of a law suit instigated by the Falcon producers. Just Google 'Viking pipes' or type it in on Ebay and you'll see the results.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
When you look at the remains of their boats & see how small they were, ocean crossings? Not with me (Capt. Chicken Sh-t) onboard.

garistan

Lurker
Apr 22, 2013
The show, as a drama is good, the costumes seem to fit the era well enough, no one knows much about religious rites and such, so the writers have a lot of latitude there. The thing that bothers me is, real vikings knew England was there, they knew France was there, they knew about Christianity. The Vikings had been raiding invading Russia since before 750. The Danes had built a wall across the southern portion of the country to keep Christians out. England was settled by the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and Frisians, who were just earlier versions of Germanic tribes like the Scandinavians, and who mostly came to England from Jutland (Denmark). It is ridiculous to think the Vikings knew nothing of England or the British Isles or of Franconia (France).

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Funny that this thread popped up again. Last night I watched episode 4-7 and really enjoyed it very much. Not family viewing but a pretty good series.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I should probably check it out, but I've been burned by the History channel before... I've read extensively on Viking history, mythology, and religion and my library continues to grow. I would be interested in seeing if some of the more recent archaeological discoveries have had any impact on the History channel's storytelling.

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
It's well worth a watch, as far as historical value goes it may be lacking somewhat, but for entertainment value it's just as good as anything that's on at 10pm on Sundays. Though to be honest I wait until I get to work Monday and watch it online, it eases me in to the work week. :)

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are a lot of inaccuracies here, from the degree of superstition and ignorance of geography (which is totally false) to the way they organized themselves (I don't think this kind of autocratic social organization existed until Christianity-- with its stringent notions of hierarchy -- was introduced). But I still find it to be pretty darn entertaining. I'm kind of treating it as a fantasy series rather than as a historical drama, and I'm enjoying it immensely as such.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
There are a lot of inaccuracies here, from the degree of superstition and ignorance of geography (which is totally false) to the way they organized themselves (I don't think this kind of autocratic social organization existed until Christianity-- with its stringent notions of hierarchy -- was introduced). But I still find it to be pretty darn entertaining. I'm kind of treating it as a fantasy series rather than as a historical drama, and I'm enjoying it immensely as such.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like it a lot. I'm not so sure it is that far fetched that they would have organized themselves in that way.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Here are some interesting articles talking about some of the historical issues with the program, if you're interested:

http://spectator.org/archives/2013/03/12/history-channel-gets-vikings-p
http://www.dailytargum.com/inside_beat/tv/historical-inaccuracies-in-vikings/article_fdfc4670-8c3d-11e2-93df-001a4bcf6878.html

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Doctorhoss:
I know that Adolph Hitler capped himself in 1945 while Berlin was burning and I also know that a German/African-American bounty hunting duo didn't exist during the American Civil War. But that certainly doesn't keep me from enjoying Quentin Tarantino's last couple of films. I'd much rather sit through twenty screenings of "Inglorious Basterds" or "Django Unchained" than endure a three hour collegiate level revisionist history class at any post-secondary institution in the U.S.
Even though The History Channel panders to basic instincts and provides garden variety fare I have to admit to enjoying the very staged "Pawn Stars" as much as I enjoy PBS' "Antiques Roadshow". If sitting through a very short season of "Vikings" - which, by the way, has a hook through my liver - gets me closer to another run of John Ford's color photgraphy of the USN at action during WWII then I'm pretty okay with that.
Doc, please know that I'm not calling you out. I have so much respect for your knowledege of all things pipery and I always appreciate your posts. I just like "Vikings" warts and all. More impotantly, I can forgive the historical inaccuracies of this show because The History Channel has to make a buck.
For what it's worth, I always liked "High Chapparal" more than "Bonanza" because the guys got off their horses sweaty and dirty from punching cows all day long.
Fnord

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Fnord -- ????

I'm not sure whether you are "calling me out" or what. I'm somewhat confused here, as you seem to think I'm putting "Vikings" down. But I've already said I really enjoy the show even if it's not quite historically accurate. In fact, I think it's one of the most visually stunning things I've ever seen on television, and it's pretty damn entertaining in most other ways. The whole point of this thread has been to discuss what we think of the show, and since several others have questioned the authenticity of certain elements of the plot I thought I'd link to some articles dealing specifically with those questions. I don't see how that is in any way disparaging the program! In fact, it sounds to me like you and I probably agree on the program's merits, so I'm -- again -- confused as to what exactly set you off. If you don't want to discuss the historical accuracy of the program then by all means don't take part, but I really don't see any reason to get riled up because some of us might like to both discuss the actual history of the era and talk about how much we enjoy the show. I don't see how those things are mutually exclusive.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I find it to be an adequate entertainment, with a modicum of reality, but just have a problem with offerings like this that go to such lengths to achieve a certain amount of reality in details but then turn around and show the women in modern makeup.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have been watching it.I like it but I thought it was going to be more realistic.At any rate it is still a pretty cool show.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I thought for sure the priest was going to get it in the last episode. If I was him I'd weasel my way into the next english "expedition" and then run away and offer my knowledge to the english about vikings and their customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.