Tried Sazerac Rye for the First Time Last Night.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
It’s crazy how some of these stores mark this stuff up though. I was just in a gas station down the street and they had Sazerac rue for $40 a bottle, I laughed and walked out. I do not support this crazy buffalo trace attention that they’re going for. Sazerac is 26.99 and that’s what it is worth. For $40 I’ll buy something better. Don’t get me wrong, I like Sazerac a lot but, not $40 a lot. Lol

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Saz is the only rye that I get a slight peach note. Anyone else perceive that? Anyway it is a great, time tested rye, better than many that cost 2x, 3x.

I never would have caught a very subtle peach essence, and I am always ready to recognize the power of suggestion, but I'm sipping some now alongside a Fuente 858 Rosado and there the peach note is, ready for me to look for it!

I like Sazerac much better than the Pennsylvania style ryes like Rittenhouse. I used to fawn over Willett, but they're supposedly dealing with a runaway bacterial issue for the last couple years which while not dangerous, is shifting the flavor profile and not for the better.

Reactions: JOHN72

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I never would have caught a very subtle peach essence, and I am always ready to recognize the power of suggestion, but I'm sipping some now alongside a Fuente 858 Rosado and there the peach note is, ready for me to look for it!

I like Sazerac much better than the Pennsylvania style ryes like Rittenhouse. I used to fawn over Willett, but they're supposedly dealing with a runaway bacterial issue for the last couple years which while not dangerous, is shifting the flavor profile and not for the better.
Thanks for letting me know it is not in my head! Ryes really can run a wide range of taste profiles and viscosity levels. More than bourbon IMO.

My new favorite mid-tier rye has to be Woodford Reserve. It’s $45 a fifth here so I usually only spring for a pint. Sometimes I need to pull out some sauce that is above 40% abv, to stand up to cigars, and this is it, for rye anyway.

Reactions: JOHN72
Yep, this one is in my top ten also. As well as Wild Turkey 101 Rye. Rye can burn a little in the aftertaste, but these are very smooth. Whereas the more expensive ones, like Whistlepig can leave my throat stripped.

Sazerac sells out pretty fast here too. I have to join a lottery when it comes in to get some. I know that I can drive up to Tennessee to more readily find it, but… I’m not that dedicated a drinker.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Saz is the only rye that I get a slight peach note. Anyone else perceive that?
Interesting. I was enjoying another shot last night before bed and taking just small sips I perceived a slight fruity flavour.

I recalled someone on this thread had mentioned peach and though I couldn't say for certain, the fruit notes I was experiencing could easily have been somewhat peachy.

It's funny how taste changes from day to day as I never noticed it before.

Jay.

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Sazerac can be found fairly regularly on UK supermarket shelves along with JD, Bulleit and Wild Turkey rye. Rittenhouse is less common but all can be purchased online easily. I am a fan of rye and probably prefer it to bourbon, but haven't had too many. Sazerac is one I have only tried once. Had a bottle of Rittenhouse which I really liked. Would be good to do a side by side and get a hold of a few rye whiskies further up the price point. A while back I had a lovely GlenAllachie 8yo single malt finished in Koval Rye casks. That had an awesome flavour. I would like to see rye casks used more in scotch whisky production

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself tell me if the rules for rye maturation are the same as for bourbon?

Reactions: mawnansmiff