Tried Sazerac Rye for the First Time Last Night.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One of my treats to myself this week was a bottle of Sazerac rye and I was quite impressed.

How I never got around to sampling this before I can't say but I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for any special offers on Amazon.

Very similar in taste to Rittenhouse but perhaps not so bold (45% versus 50%) and in my humble opinion beats Woodford Rye.

Also the bottle is quite a beauty.

sazerac-rye-70cl_600.jpeg

Jay.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I also like Sazerac very much. I'd categorize it with some bang-for-buck ryes like Bulleit and Crown Royal Northern Harvest. Elijah Craig Straight Rye isn't too far behind these to my taste, around the same price point.

(I likewise enjoy these much more than Woodford.)

I've yet to try Rittenhouse!

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
One of my treats to myself this week was a bottle of Sazerac rye and I was quite impressed.

How I never got around to sampling this before I can't say but I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for any special offers on Amazon.

Very similar in taste to Rittenhouse but perhaps not so bold (45% versus 50%) and in my humble opinion beats Woodford Rye.

Also the bottle is quite a beauty.

View attachment 271200

Jay.
Buffalo Trace puts out a good product.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I like Sazerac Rye except when it’s being used to make a sazerac cocktail. My wife & I went on a sazerac crawl a few years ago & the bar that made theirs with Old Overholt was by far our favorite. There may be other factors at play here(better bartenders, better secondary ingredients, etc) & I have yet to try this experiment at home. We even got them at The Sazerac Bar on this crawl & it still didn’t stack up. YMMV

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I like Sazerac Rye except when it’s being used to make a sazerac cocktail. My wife & I went on a sazerac crawl a few years ago & the bar that made theirs with Old Overholt was by far our favorite. There may be other factors at play here(better bartenders, better secondary ingredients, etc) & I have yet to try this experiment at home. We even got them at The Sazerac Bar on this crawl & it still didn’t stack up. YMMV

Try one made with a good mixing cognac, which was the original recipe. Pierre Ferrand 1840 is my favorite for this and for next-level mint juleps.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Try one made with a good mixing cognac, which was the original recipe. Pierre Ferrand 1840 is my favorite for this and for next-level mint juleps.
Believe it or not, the last one we had that night was made with cognac. Wasn’t a fan but I think it was made with courvoisier. I’d be willing to give it another day in court.

Reactions: JOHN72

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Over the years I’ve sampled about all of the Rye mentioned. It may surprise you, but do not overlook Wild Turkey Rye.

I prefer ryed bourbons such as WT to Wheated Bourbons such as Makers Mark.

Wild Turkey offers a Rye (Green Label) that I believe you will like.

You’re
Welcome 👊 😎
Have you had the wild turkey rare breed? So good. I think it’s like $50.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Have you had the wild turkey rare breed? So good. I think it’s like $50.
Laurent
Wild Turkey is one of those iconic brands that has always done it right. It doesn’t deserve to take a backseat to many of these upstart boutique brands that in all honesty are bottling bulk rather than properly aged and simply packaging it in attractive bottles and labels.

Underrated by far. I always return to 101 after I stray.