PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
I would look into "The breath method" as well. It helped me a lot as a new smoker.
The breath method?
I have a feeling this may be a new pipe smoker prank?
Similar to buying a tin of tartan paint I guess or a battery for a dynamo lol..
However I will keep an eye out for other mentions of this breath method.... Thank you for the advice.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Worry not, Tigerdaz. I've found it's almost paradoxical. The less I do (huffing, puffing etc), the more I enjoy the smoke. As someone said, almost at the point where the pipe goes out. It is well worth persevering.

Reactions: Tigerdaz
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@TigerDaz,Get Your self a pouch of Amphora Original blend and of a pouch Carter Hall ,You won't be disappointed in case if You like Burley blends, Yet > Drying prior to packing some 15.to 20 min does good for any tobacco, and avoid packing too tight ,I have found lighter packing is always beneficial, You can always tamp your tobacco down during the smoke, Exception>some ribbon and shag cuts definitely require tighter 'packing technique'

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It could be a chemical reaction. Some people don't do well with certain blends, mostly Virginia's. It's more likely rough you're smoking too fast and/or the tobacco needs drying. I'm not a Burley fan so I can't recommend smoking Burley.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
@TigerDaz,Get Your self a pouch of Amphora Original blend and of a pouch Carter Hall ,You won't be disappointed in case if You like Burley blends, Yet > Drying prior to packing some 15.to 20 min does good for any tobacco, and avoid packing too tight ,I have found lighter packing is always beneficial, You can always tamp your tobacco down during the smoke, Exception>some ribbon and shag cuts definitely require tighter 'packing technique'
Thx for the tips

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
It could be a chemical reaction. Some people don't do well with certain blends, mostly Virginia's. It's more likely rough you're smoking too fast and/or the tobacco needs drying. I'm not a Burley fan so I can't recommend smoking Burley.
Tried a pipe earlier and dried the tobacco first and it did smoke better... I've certainly taken a few good tips away... I will try some burley out of curiosity as everyone to their own and I'm still trying to find the best tobacco for me, pipe smoking is a vast world and as another member said I need to find my sweet spot, I do appreciate all the advice /tips n tricks.
I do quite like the vanilla tobacco I've tried!

Reactions: UncleRasta

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Get you some biotene mouth wash to heal up faster - sometimes tongue burn doesn't hit until much later. Milk and aloe vera juice can also help healing as well.
If you're unable to hold your pipe because of the heat, that's a sign you're still drawing too hard. The breath method combined with retrohaling is a great way to develop a slower cadence and really taste the tobacco.
You can also try drinking coffee with your smoke to balance out the ph in your mouth. Even though the smoke is cool, you can still get burned from a chemical reaction depending on the blend.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Thank you

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I do quite like the vanilla tobacco I've tried!
Whoa! Are you smoking aromatics?! :oops:

Given your pre-pipe smoking experience, I think you should be smoking strong, bold non-aromatics that deliver a lot of tobacco flavor and nicotine. Maybe what you're smoking can't deliver what your system craves, and your unconscious response is to suck harder, thus scorching your tongue. Peterson Irish Flake, Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky, or even Gawith Brown Bogey (rope) would serve you better, IMO. It's counterintuitive, but maybe you should "step it up". Many GL Pease blends would fill the bill too.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Oh yeh, and dry your tobacco. It is mostly the steam that does the most damage and not just the heat. I like mine almost bone dry to bone dry. Others like a little more moisture... you'll just have to play with it to find your sweet spot.
Except don’t Dry McBaren Vintage Syrian, taste like stale Marlboros. Hold on strike that! Don’t let it sit in a can for a few months drying. Maybe let it dry for 15 min from a jar.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Whoa! Are you smoking aromatics?! :oops:

Given your pre-pipe smoking experience, I think you should be smoking strong, bold non-aromatics that deliver a lot of tobacco flavor and nicotine. Maybe what you're smoking can't deliver what your system craves, and your unconscious response is to suck harder, thus scorching your tongue. Peterson Irish Flake, Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky, or even Gawith Brown Bogey (rope) would serve you better, IMO. It's counterintuitive, but maybe you should "step it up". Many GL Pease blends would fill the bill too.
I hear what you're saying and it makes sense.. Thank you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The most bite and burn for me was from primo aromatic blends, especially holiday blends with flavorings that seemed to give me a sort of chemical burn. Brushing with mint toothpaste was the same misery all over again. When I changed to non-aromatic blends, even quite strong ones, I had little or no bite/burn etc. Now I rotate in some aromatics, but ones I find decidedly tobacco forward. Your experience may be totally different, but sometimes changing genre of blends can help a lot. Other strategies are to slow down the pace, as mentioned in other posts, and moderate the number of bowls, and in some cases using a filter (your choice of type) might help, especially when you smoke more, like at a pipe shop, pipe club, or pipe show.

Status
Not open for further replies.