PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Why is my tongue so bad when I smoke my pipe?
I'm a hardened roll up man but have been experimenting with pipes for years.
Recently I've decided to push the pipe and ditch the fags, but I'm doing both at the minute (sort of practicing), however, my tongue tastes awful and I am getting tongue burn, I was wondering if this is because I'm still smoking a few roll ups and the two don't mix... I've tried different tobaccos like bruno and mellow Virginia but all make my tongue and mouth taste bad.
Also I am really trying to take my time with the pipe and not go like a bull at a gate.
Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks.

Reactions: dbehsman

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If it's causing discomfort, you're doing it wrong. Full stop. Pipe smoking is supposed to be enjoyable. Full stop.

However, there can sometimes be a learning curve. You'll need time to really get your technique down, and your body may need some adjustment. In the meantime, a mouthwash like Biotene and something non-alcoholic to drink while smoking can help.

You may also want to concentrate on Burley blends while you're working on your technique, as they tend to be more forgiving than straight VAs, etc.

If this is more of a taste thing than a tongue bite thing, I have no idea. I always loved the taste of pipe tobacco. If you still don't like it after a little while, maybe it just isn't for you.

Yeh, when we all say, "smoke slower," everyone always says, "I am smoking slow." And, I believe it. It's just that you have to combine sipping gently, slowing your pace, with fighting the temptation to puff harder to get more taste, because that WILL NOT increase taste. The flavor from tobacco comes not from the burning tobacco, but from the surrounding tobacco heating up and giving off essential oils. So, you actually get more flavor just as your pipe goes out sometimes. This is what we mean by smoking your pipe on the verge of going out.

Just stick with it. It'll come to ya.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
If it's causing discomfort, you're doing it wrong. Full stop. Pipe smoking is supposed to be enjoyable. Full stop.

However, there can sometimes be a learning curve. You'll need time to really get your technique down, and your body may need some adjustment. In the meantime, a mouthwash like Biotene and something non-alcoholic to drink while smoking can help.

You may also want to concentrate on Burley blends while you're working on your technique, as they tend to be more forgiving than straight VAs, etc.

If this is more of a taste thing than a tongue bite thing, I have no idea. I always loved the taste of pipe tobacco. If you still don't like it after a little while, maybe it just isn't for you.
Thank you for the advice I will certainly try a burley... I hope it is for me as I do mostly enjoy it.

Reactions: QcFreedom

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Yeh, when we all say, "smoke slower," everyone always says, "I am smoking slow." And, I believe it. It's just that you have to combine sipping gently, slowing your pace, with fighting the temptation to puff harder to get more taste, because that WILL NOT increase taste. The flavor from tobacco comes not from the burning tobacco, but from the surrounding tobacco heating up and giving off essential oils. So, you actually get more flavor just as your pipe goes out sometimes. This is what we mean by smoking your pipe on the verge of going out.

Thank you I will stick with it definitely but it does seem that maybe Ive still to slow down more then.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

Oh yeh, and dry your tobacco. It is mostly the steam that does the most damage and not just the heat. I like mine almost bone dry to bone dry. Others like a little more moisture... you'll just have to play with it to find your sweet spot.

Wait..what happened to puffing like a freight train?!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tongue burn is most likely caused by steam. As Cosmic suggested, drying out the tobacco will help. Whereas you wouldn't smoke a dry cigarette because it would rip up your throat, pipe tobacco is actually more enjoyable when it's dry.

Steam: don't light up too aggressively, and after the charring light let the pipe sit for a few minutes and grow cold. Then relight gently. Keep in mind that even with dry tobacco, steam will be produced as the combustion process rearranges the carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms to generate CO2 + H2O.

Now, if I could only follow my own advice! :)

Last edited:

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Tongue burn is most likely caused by steam. As Cosmic suggested, drying out the tobacco will help. Whereas you wouldn't smoke a dry cigarette because it would rip up your throat, pipe tobacco is actually more enjoyable when it's dry.

Steam: don't light up too aggressively, and after the charring light let the pipe sit for a few minutes and grow cold. Then relight gently. Keep in mind that even with dry tobacco, steam will be produced as the combustion process rearranges the carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms to generate CO2 + H20.

Now, if I could only follow my own advice!
Its all making sense now!

Status
Not open for further replies.