PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I don't need some stupid app to tell me what I have.
I am not a huge cellarer, but I think this makes a good point. To keep stock in the cellar, open the door and take a peek!
The English have infiltrated here. They have me drinking tea. Next thing you know, I will be spelling words "civilisation" and "neighbourhood" and wondering why the colonials become irate when I do so.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We're just the poor bastard children of the English lord of the manor having a little afternoon dalliance with the illiterate scullery wench of imperialism. Simply unfortunate, dispossessed waifs trying to make our way in the world, is all. :puffy:

DM, I don't think that Pipe Tool is the same as the iPhone APP. At least it doesn't do what that webpage says it does, and it just looks different.
Anyways, I like to have my cellar inventoried and accessible for when I place orders. I can see what I am running low on, what I need more of, what I may have too much of. Also, it automatically tracks the weight, so that I can know that I have 246 lbs. And, I will know exactly what I have. Some things I only keep three of each tins, and somethings I like to keep above twenty pounds. It also allows me to rank each blend, so I don't make a mistake and order something I hated, and I can keep my reviews for myself to help me remember things.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I am seat-of-the-pants kind of tobacco-cellaring kind of guy. I have enough to last several years, but I plan to live a lot longer than that. Therefor I will have to acquire more as I go along. So far I haven't found a tobacco I can't live without, and 8-10 Englishes I am happy with. Some may disappear. F*** the FDA.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I wanted to use Pipetool but can only use their website as they no longer have an app available.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I remember someone stating a while back that the Pipe Tool app and thepipetool.com were two totally different, unrelated things

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jeez, Jay, we can't get a break from you guys."
Matt, I don't know if you're having your period or not but you really need to recognise humour when you see it.
What I said about your "beloved FDA" was said with tongue hugely in cheek. I would wager all others saw it that way too.
Now settle down and light up a bowl of something nice and enjoy your day :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sorry, Jay. Just ribbing back. And no, not on my period; since my hysterectomy I don't have the monthlies anymore. :wink:

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Tobaccocellar.com is still down. I don't use the site, but I think it's a great tool. By the way, whenever I do browse it, I am amazed by Peck's collection.
PS - I prefer to keep a spreadsheet of my tins/bulk. Easy peasy.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I've tried to register on tobaccocellar.com a few times but it never worked, I never get to login, I tried their reset password gizmo, not working either. I really wanted to get a look at that website that y'all talking about.
EDIT: it seems I mistook one for the other. There are 2 different websites with the name "tobaccocellar" ... one is "dot org" and the other is "dot com" ...

The one I talked about is the "dot org" which I can't seem to log into. The other is indeed inaccessible :cry:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just use a leather journal as a manifest of my collection. Never trusted electronic records.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Why would anyone want to post their cellars online for everyone to see, anyway?"
Jesse, the answer is a very simple one. The size of folks cellars are ranked for all to see. It is not just some benign spreadsheet program that keeps a log of tobacco stored, it is a bragging tool and nothing more.
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I use thepipetool.com and it has nothing to do with showing off the size of my......er......'stash'. My cellar is large enough that I can't remember all that I have and how many of each I have. I've accessed it at work using my phone numerous times after receiving a sale-alert email; 'ooooh! X blend is on sale! Do I have enough of it cellared?' It's been great for quick checking of stocks. And, no, I don't make my cellar public.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
tobaccocellar.com allowed you to show your cellar publicly, but also had the option to make it private (which is what I did). Certainly in this internet age there is a bit of narcissism involved for some, but that could be said of this fine forum as well.
Really bums me out that it's gone with no warning - very useful for managing my tobacco orders. Looks like I will be doing a full manual inventory and building my own db.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Really bums me out that it's gone with no warning - very useful for managing my tobacco orders.

@rblood : what do you mean by "manage your tobacco orders" ?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Jay that's not the case at all. My cellar was hidden and was never available to the public.
I used it to keep track of what I've tried and haven't tried. Also to keep track of my unopened tin inventory. I have a better idea of the age of some of my tins by using that tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.