PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sittingbear has an important point. Weight is of considerable concern to long-distance backpackers. Some Appalachian Trail hikers break the handles off their toothbrushes, among many other economies, to get weight to minimum. Extra weight, even a pound, takes it out of your feet, ankles, knees, etc., and your calorie intake. If there is any way you can have your tobacco waiting in small quantities (maybe by the same means the cigars are provided?) so you wouldn't have to haul them, that would be all to the good. Likewise, I'd go with two cobs to keep weight down. There will be plenty to keep you busy, so I suspect you will smoke less than you plan.

Mar 1, 2014
Sounds like a similar situation to your traditional navy flake. Bring plugs that are as compact as possible.
You could probably take just about any flake and just press it into plugs yourself, but if you already like Ten Russians then there's no reason to switch. I would take the plugs, wrap them in tinfoil, and store it in tubs.

I know tubs aren't ideal but they probably hold up better, I wouldn't trust a tin to hold a seal for regular use over the course of a year, and glass is simply not an option.
That said, are you travelling with people you know in a stable country? Most reports I've heard of those parts of the world are still a little (or a lot) outlandish. The best way to experience it may be with the absolute bare essentials to survival.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If it's really turbulent, you don't need to bring a pipe at all; you can simply make one from the bones of your slaughtered enemies.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Tobacco, pipe cleaners and lighter fuel for a one year trip would require an added pack mule to carry smoking supplies. If it were Jiminks, I would say a train of pack mules. Two pounds and a few tins will get you almost a pipe a day. Figure about eight or so pipefuls per ounce. Two pounds would be about 260 pipefuls. Add six or seven tins and you have 365. The bulk will be dust dry before the year is up unless you seal it in some of those fancy aluminised bags.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
If you are serious about settling there and the price of good tobacco is incredible or not obtainable at all I suggest that you give the pipe up ( shutter) or be prepared for a life of frustration and anxiety as well as financial hardship! From your post its obvious that since you smoke lightly and a new piper it should Not be as difficult as it would be for me!

hoo

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Locally produced tobaccos are available in many countries, you often have to look for it, usually in the markets places.

If in Indonesia, try Tambolaka

In Vietnam, Laos, & perhaps Cambodia look for thuốc lào (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana_rustica)

(Hanoi also has 8 Hang Ga, Hang Bo, & Ngo Quynh tobaccos).

All are straight, VERY STRONG tobaccos.

Cigarettes are plentiful, so you could consider tightly packing a pipe (for slower burning) with tobacco from a cigarette(s).
+1 on the recommendation for plugs & ropes. As they are compact & strong, you may be able to get by with fewer & smaller bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.