PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobashcroft

Lurker
Oct 29, 2015
The plan is to travel for a bit and then settle down somewher, ideally for good. I've got a decent amount of backpacking under my belt and have at least a general grasp on not overpacking. I'm basically taking a tablet, a few pairs of good shoes, and my pipe stuff. Everything else I need, I'll get there!

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
The key thing you need to look at is the local laws for importing tobacco. If you travel to Australia with 2 pounds of pipe tobacco you are going to pay a shed load of cash to keep it! They let you in with 50g without duty. If you take 56g (or 2 ounces) you have to pay duty on the whole lot and duty is over $500 a kg! Most countries might be easier but you might want to know before trying.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Have you thought about the weight of your pipes? You might want to consider something very light and durable, like cobs, or something you can smoke different blends in without it being ghosted too badly, like a meerschaum, so you can take fewer pipes and cut down on weight that way.
As far as desert blends go, I would suggest some of Stokkebye's bulk blends, such as Luxury Navy Flake (VaPer), English Oriental Supreme (oriental heavy English), and especially Cube Cut (VaBur). If I had these three blends it would cover most of my bases. Good luck, and happy travels! I'm very envious. ;)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jacob:
I've done a bit of backpacking and carrying a five lb. wad of Pirate Kake, while tempting, isn't smart. You've got to arrange some cache points for such a long back country - third world trip. I'm also a long-time Colin Fletcher devotee and a 40-45 lb. pack is going to be your limit.
If you're an extremist/minimalist then enjoy that 20 lb. backpack, sleeping wet and whatever tobacco and local beer the village chief pushes in your direction. Just know that the fermented beverage offered to you started that voyage in somebody else's mouth.
Take a couple of cobs, hoss, and leave those briars at home.
In the meantime, tug your forelock, grab a knee and ask for The Old Cajun's blessings. He spent his early days in Laos way back when the U.S. couldn't say it was there during that recent dust-up in French Indochina. And, IIRC, Bradley was smoking Dr. Grabows back in those days but his taste in briar has certainly improved.
Good luck to you, pal.
Fnord

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
You might smoke a lot less than now, I know that I didn't enjoy pipe in Thailand a lot, simply to humid and hot when I was there. Other than that, amazing place to travel :)

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I'd suggest a few pounds of Mixture 79. If you get lost you can start dropping hunks of it on the ground to help find your way back.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Take whatever you think will taste best sopping wet and with a nice bit of mold. If you're serious, do with your tobacco what you'll do with everything else, buy it in town or have someone mail it for pick up when you're in some place central.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't know your tastes but I'd be looking for good plugs and kakes. They don't take up a lot of space and are durable as far as riding in your backpack goes Remove them from the tin and put them in sturdy plastic bags (or vacuum seal them) and you could tuck a plug or two into the nooks and crannies in your pack. :puffy:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
As mentioned above there is a lot going on here. All things considered I would rack my pipes and make sure to had a good camera.

This sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Ropes and plugs for sure and a couple of cobs. Cobs weigh less than briar and ropes or plugs although would weight the same as loose bulk tobacco, are more condensed and will take up less room. ... but as Sajgre mentioned, up above, Thailand and really all of SEAsia gets really hot and humid. If you are not from that area and just going to go for the adventure, you might not be smoking as much as you might think.... but either way... Chokh dī nı kār deinthāng khxng khuṇ
*(been a long time I've written out Thai and not even sure I spelled it correctly and I also forgot where to place the accent symbols at :oops: ) so if anyone here speaks Thai please correct me.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Mylar zip lock bags so that the tobacco lasts longer without drying out, 2-4 ounces each (although if you are in SE Asia for a year you will certainly be dealing with monsoon season and then drying is not likely to be a problem). Pipes probably should be washable since you can hardly carry enough pipe cleaners to keep quality briars from gunking up. I have no idea what constitutes "washable" or what material that might be. Are there not backpacking forums that you can post this question to? God, I envy you!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
A years worth.. damn, that's not gona be easy to smuggle in ones rectum across borders.. It'd be pointless bringing your own if you'll get tax raped at customs.
I smoke about 2-5 pipes with about 2-5grams per bowl each day. The most packable forms of baccy are gona be plug, flake and rope, likely in that order. I'd worry about my baccy going rotten in asian climates, got a way to keep it fresh?
As mentioned you'll need more than one pipe and a suitable means to clean it too. Falcon pipes are deffinately a good idea, metal stems, changable bowls etc.
I wonder, what does a 5 pounds of plug look like? (one of you hoarders got a slab of plug for pciture refference?)

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I vote plugs and ropes for three reasons.
1. loose tobacco will get pounded into dust in no time. Tobaco in a back pack with out solid storage, is tough.

2. plugs and ropes will stay moist much longer.

3. plugs and ropes will be easier to keep compact and stow.
P.S. strong tobacco just goes further.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
My experience on 5 of 7 continents has taught me no plan survives it always changes lol. My first thought was to take a few cobs in a unbreakable container and enough baccy for a week or two. As you use what you brought, start looking for local baccy. They smoke pipes there, and with a cob you have no ghosting worries. Roll your own cig baccy tastes much better nothing if you do not inhale. Point is, for me, this is to be an adventure. Adventurous rarley means I have all the comforts of home! Plus a ruck çan become quite heaclvy extremely fast. Explore and smoke what you can. Also never go into alley see what special gift they have for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.