PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Mail call from the UK - GQ Tobaccos, to be specific. 2 Falcon stems and 4 bowls. With shipping it was fairly inexpensive, especially since you can’t really get stems in the US at the mo. Packing was great but I think one of the mail services took the “fragile” label as a challenge. View attachment 79686View attachment 79688
Dang those bowls look to be good quality. Maybe they’ve upped their recent game!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Mail call from the UK - GQ Tobaccos, to be specific. 2 Falcon stems and 4 bowls. With shipping it was fairly inexpensive, especially since you can’t really get stems in the US at the mo. Packing was great but I think one of the mail services took the “fragile” label as a challenge. View attachment 79686View attachment 79688
people I know who work in mail service say the fragile label is seen as an insult. Now if you want them to treat it with care put little kid drawings on it and it will be handled very gently.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Dang those bowls look to be good quality. Maybe they’ve upped their recent game!
I like the look of the Hunter finish but they didn’t have a snifter in the Hunter. Everything seems to fit nicely. They are very different from the early one that I got from you. The bowl and air hole sit down low on the central “nub” in the old style. The new bowls ride high so there is kind of like a chimney in the bowl to the nub in the humidome rather than the nub rising through the opening.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I like the look of the Hunter finish but they didn’t have a snifter in the Hunter. Everything seems to fit nicely. They are very different from the early one that I got from you. The bowl and air hole sit down low on the central “nub” in the old style. The new bowls ride high so there is kind of like a chimney in the bowl to the nub in the humidome rather than the nub rising through the opening.
That’s because the humidome on the old ones is much deeper

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I really would like to get a falcon but can't seem to find any kept in stock anywhere in the US.
I ordered these from GQ Tobaccos in the UK. Prices were great, even with shipping. A complete Falcon cost about $32 and shipping was maybe $15? The total bill was about $128 for 2 stems, 4 bowls, some GH Flavour sprays and shipping. Shipped fast and got through no problem.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I was comparing my Falcon stems and bowls today (might need to take pics). I have a vintage straight stem with vulcanite bit and two new stems The vintage humidome is only slightly deeper than the new ones. All bowls fit all stems. The main difference is in the bowls - the vintage bowl has a low floor. The wood at the bottom of the chamber is relatively thin. The nub in the humidome sits nicely in the hole in the chamber and is just shy of flush. My meer bowl has a slightly thicker bottom wall so the floor of the chamber sits higher and the nub does not come close to the floor of the chamber. The new bowls have extremely thick bottom chamber wall. The floor of the chamber sits waaaaay above the nub and the hole can only be described as a shaft. I wonder what the change is about? Too many burn-outs? How do you keep tobacco from clogging the shaft in these newer bowls? If I smoke my meer down to ash in allows some into the humidome. Not a big deal, especially with a dry ring. The vintage bowl doesn't have that issue. Can't wait to try the new ones and see what they're like.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
If you get a new stem, an old bowl will not fit but a new bowl will fit an old stem (if that makes sense?).
Mine seem to fit both. Weird. I like the softer vulcanite stem vs the plastic which is pretty hard. Smoking the snifter bowl today. Smoke is “eh” with OGS. Maybe it’s bc of the big bowl it it’s not broken in. Guess we’ll see.

Reactions: edger