PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I know that they can’t be responsible for the quality of what their consignors end up shipping, but I feel like they have some responsibility to at least make sure the posts are accurate. I’ve seen a few that irked me, for example someone saying that they had the “complete” Frog Morton set with only four (4) tins (there are five btw). There are others I’ve forgotten, but this latest one has really got me frustrated as it’s completely untrue (see photo). I literally bought the 2023 edition.

IMG_7758.png

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Caveat emptor.

It's not always a case of a crooked seller, though this particular entry feels like deliberate deception, but also plain old ignorance, or laziness regarding research.

In any event, when dealing with private sites like this and eBay, it's on the buyers to know what they're doing.
Fair enough. I guess I just presumed like this site has moderators that check the listings, that retailers had the equivalent, or at least should.

Reactions: AroEnglish

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Maybe it’s all much ado about nothing. I have a weird hang up about facts and data. When I see the wrong things published I think of all the poor souls being mislead. I mean think of the consequences of not knowing they made a 2023 brown sugar flake, could be life altering.

Reactions: AroEnglish

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
You could easily fill you collection with blends as good or better at retail prices for a fraction of the cost and none of the aggravation.
Don’t tell my wife that lol. I’m sure you’re right but FOMO is real. I must say I do enjoy McClelland blends more than most. I’ve almost got everything I could ever want. Reading reviews and posts here are a huge driver of my mania. And I still get aggravated when I miss a small batch. I’m starting to accept that I won’t be able to smoke everything ever made. I envy you Embers. You always seems content with what you have.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Eh there’s only on average a few listings a day. Some days a dozen or so, some days none. I have time to read every listing in a few minutes and I’m the sucker giving them money.
Well, you seem to have figured things out pretty well on your own without the assistance of the site operators.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Maybe it’s all much ado about nothing. I have a weird hang up about facts and data. When I see the wrong things published I think of all the poor souls being mislead. I mean think of the consequences of not knowing they made a 2023 brown sugar flake, could be life altering.
I agree that the site Owner should ensure accurate descriptions are provided. He is knowledgeable about tobacco, not merely a broker of a commodity. That said I have no sympathy for people paying these stupid prices. You almost deserve to be gouged. As you said above
I’m the sucker giving them money.
This is no different to me than someone paying $300 for a few grams of blow only to discover the quality is lacking