PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
Thanks everyone , still pretty serious about clay, Vulcanite stems looks like the way to go .I have read that they smoke hot but I'll still give it a shot.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
For pure durability purpose, not necessarily smoking qualities, consider sandalwood ;). sorry for the digression. Now back to the topic at hand.

Reactions: grand wazoo

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
The one clay I ever smoked is an antique Brasenose from Colin Lunn, once located in Oxford.
It has an ebonite mouthpiece. What struck we most is the pure taste of the tobacco, like smoking a meerschaum.
Mind you, the bowl will be too hot to hold !
I've heard from many on that drawback, thank you all for the input, it's been most helpful

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks everyone , still pretty serious about clay, Vulcanite stems looks like the way to go .I have read that they smoke hot but I'll still give it a shot.

Clays "smoke hot" partly because clay doesn't insulate as well as wood, so they simply conduct more of the heat of the ember to the outside, and partly because a careless smoker can work them harder without causing the pipe to burn up.

The natural tendency is the hold the stem to avoid burning your hand, but if you keep your hand on the bowl (or really close to it) you'll get excellent feedback on whether you're smoking too hot, so you can slow down ASAP. A clay can be a good teaching tool that way.