PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
I think you mean a cutty:)
I recommend one with a coated mouthpiece so the clay doesn't stick to your mouth and so you don't get lip cancer!
Please let me know when you get one and post / send me a photo.
thanks Clay King ,I typed in Cutty on my phone and it kept coming up "city" , I was leaning towards a coated mouthpiece but wanted some advise, Looking at Penn Valley Pipes.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Even without separate stems or stem coatings, you can coat the stem of a regular clay with clear nail polish top-coat or something and just give it a few days/week to cure and finish gassing-off. If you can still smell the polish or it has a taste when you touch it to your lips, it's not ready.

Alternatively, if that scares you, you can wrap the end in some kind of twine, or just remember to wet the stem and your lips before putting it in your mouth and it won't stick.

Good idea is to throw a cheap Old German Clay in with your next order of whatever, that way you can see how you like clay without investing too much into one with a stem or treatment (not that those are terribly expensive either, relative to briars).