PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since pictures speak louder than words, and the percentage of you guys who are new to the hobby is high so (probably) haven't needed any repair work yet, here is the type of thing that ashdigger and I are talking about.

Scroll to the bottom to see the side-by-side comparison shots.

The standard---the expectation---at the high end is "invisibility". Meaning mechanical repairs that aren't detectable, and replacement stems that will fool the pipe's original maker.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’m going to chime in.

I had used Briarville before the current dude. The first three pipes were treated with care and skill.

The next batch had three that were butchered and essentially destroyed.

I reached out to Ryan Alden to save two. He did a grand job.

He is not cheap, nor should he be. He’s a carver, who did me a solid, not a repairman with a menu or fee schedule.

I was gifted a 1904 Pete Meerschaum stummel and I asked Smoking Pipes if Peterson could fit a stem. They said it was too old. But they recommended a hack to basically fit a premade stem on it.

I went out of my way to express how much I wanted to have it done right. He emailed me a week later that the pipe was done.

Bullshit.

So it went to Ryan Alden. I had the mortise repaired and three stems made for it.

Okay, so how much did those repairs cost.

The hack was $50

Ryan Alden was $1,000

I’m only posting this because there appears to be a fantasy that good work is cheap.

Nonsense. Good work costs good money.
Yes. But cheap work usually costs more money in the long run. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
While I agree with @georged 100% both as a skilled tradesman and a (very) amateur pipe repairmen. I do think with so called "flat rate" pipe repair there is some level of understanding with the purchaser that yes this a repair that will simply return my pipe to smoking service not a museum resto of a high end collector piece. There is still some expectation of quality of work, to at least do less harm than good. In some of these cases, the job was not even completed to the bare minimum of "repair" standards and the pipe was in even worse shape than when it had been sent out. That is unacceptable at any level.

As far as the cost of quality work goes, the problem with pipe repair is that it takes the same amount of time and skill to hand cut a stem for a 1904 Peterson as it does to hand cut a stem for an $80 pipe, the cost does not scale. Most of the folks who have the necessary cross section of engineering and trade skills necessary to do high end repair/resto work are going to go to an industry where nobody bats an eye at scale and the cost of doing a job right is a drop in the bucket.

While pipe repair is challenging and requires a set of skills that are rapidly disappearing from the modern vocational lexicon, it is at the end of the day what were once considered to be pretty basic manual machining skills coupled with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to use hand files properly. I know this a somewhat gross oversimplification but there is some truth to it.

I the case of folks like @georged and Ryan Alden, they do at bare minimum an exact copy but more times than not they provide a product that actually far exceeds the original. Where as most cases a replacement stem of any kind on any high end pipe would actually tank the value of the pipe, collectors don't bat any eye at paying a premium over the even the original collector value for a Dunhill with a replacement stem. After all it's not a pipe with a replacement stem, it's a pipe with a George Dibos stem, thats an upgrade. It's like a Yenco Camaro, it didn't roll out of the factory that way, but it's damn sure worth more that way. It takes a VERY long time to build that kind of cache with the rapidly disappearing group of folks who have the means to pay you what its worth to do the job. The sad fact is that at this point buy the time someone steps in to fill those shoes the industry will likely be dead and gone.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
"After all it's not a pipe with a replacement stem, it's a pipe with a George Dibos stem, thats an upgrade. It's like a Yenco Camaro, it didn't roll out of the factory that way, but it's damn sure worth more that way.:

👍👍👍

A unicorn for some of us.