Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Received my Altinok Meer back from Tim West today 4 weeks to the day he received it. Not perfect but significantly improved over what I experienced with Briarville.

IMG_0264.jpeg

Tim took the existing stem, cut off the bit end and replaced that. As you can see, not a perfect match but in daylight, you can hardly tell the difference. Unbeknownst to me, Rich at Briarworks apparently drilled out the mortise in order to fit his crappy stem in rather than work down the tenon to fit. Lazy man's approach, no surprise there. Tim fit a piece into the mortise and made everything work.

I'd give Tim a 9 out of 10, I'd use him again. Price was $39, crazy expensive. LOL

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Received my Altinok Meer back from Tim West today 4 weeks to the day he received it. Not perfect but significantly improved over what I experienced with Briarville.

View attachment 219426

Tim took the existing stem, cut off the bit end and replaced that. As you can see, not a perfect match but in daylight, you can hardly tell the difference. Unbeknownst to me, Rich at Briarworks apparently drilled out the mortise in order to fit his crappy stem in rather than work down the tenon to fit. Lazy man's approach, no surprise there. Tim fit a piece into the mortise and made everything work.

I'd give Tim a 9 out of 10, I'd use him again. Price was $39, crazy expensive. LOL
Tim is one of the top pipe restorers working today, and a heck of a nice guy. He took on a repair of a WW2 era Sasieni 8 Dot that all the top guys had refused, and turned in a seamless job.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I had an interesting conversation with georged a month ago or so ago. he can explain it better of course, but the problem is the lack of quality repair that is out there. My work is laughable compared to george, I am a beginer, but I still am bombarded with work.

The first repair looks like the same repair that most pipe shops do these days, whether it is a ten dollar pipe or a 300 dollar pipe. It is really hurting these nice pipes.

(I should mention I turn away any work unless it is a junk pipe. I know my limits.)

Last edited:

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I had my own headache with Briarville and their idiot work shortly before your saga, Hoosier. If I had known, I would have warned you!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just my 2 cents - Rich at Briarville has done a fair amount of work for me and I have had no complaints. He is one of the few that will even touch a meerschaum.
Jack, that's fair. Tin West touched my Meer. And it stands to reason Briarville would attempt to treat a fellow carver fairly. Obviously, Briarville couldn't screw up every job as bad as they did mine or they'd be broke. However, enough other people have spoken up about bad experiences to prove mine was not an isolated case. Finally, my experience showed such a high level of negligence and blatent disregard, it speaks more to an attitude issue towards customer more than incompetence. I'm not eliminating incompetence being involved but it is the incredibly poor attitude that concerned me more.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In the pipe repair world, the output of shops is viewed as a consumer commodity in the same way as tires, toasters, or cameras. Meaning the only difference is who sells the item to you and for how much. The quality of the same make & model is the same for everyone.

In the artisan pipe making world, though, the output of carvers is unique, and each piece is considered individually and priced accordingly.

That difference is the main reason why carvers outnumber repairmen by fifty (or more) to one in our hobby.

Also, there is:

1) The shop equipment and inventory requirement. While a carver needs only what's required to create the pipes he likes, a full-service repairman needs the tools and materials to replicate the work of all carvers and brands, both new and old (some go back a century or more), and in every style.

and

2) The stress of working on someone else's property is enormous. There are no "do-overs". Tossing a project into the fireplace when a fatal mistake is made is not an option.

The fixed price model is especially deadly when it comes to replacement stems. No matter the quality or price of the original pipe, there's an expectation that a new stem for it should cost a fixed, nominal amount.

What pipe repairmen do however, is not the same as being a retailer of tires, toasters, or cameras. They sell labor, not merchandise.

In fact, it's not even equivalent labor. Most pipe makers agree that the stem takes as much time to shape---sometimes more---than the rest of the pipe... but making a replacement stem after the stummel is complete and its shape cannot be further modified requires the stem to be made "in a vacuum" to fit that stummel exactly. A situation that adds to the difficulty considerably. Then, the labor/time demand is often increased still again by requiring the replacement to exactly match the original in external dimensions. (The original maker didn't have to follow any pattern or meet any particular set of dimensions... whatever simply "looked right" to them became the finished product.) Such dimension matching is unforgiving and slow-going.

For the record, and to be 100% clear, I am emphatically NOT criticizing or trying to minimize what "whole" pipe makers do in any way---being truly good at it is insanely difficult and requires having ALL of MANY uncommon skills rolled into a single person. I know many professional carvers personally, and respect what they do---and am occasionally in awe of what they do---more every day. That their work and business model is more linear and streamlined isn't something they are responsible for creating, it's simply how things are.

It's the combination of those three main things---high financial barrier to entry, the stress of working on other people's property, and the laborious nature of matching the work of others as opposed to creating whatever suits your fancy---that keeps people from entering the repair field (or staying with it for long when they do).

Entire articles have been written about this situation before by highly qualified people, btw. Here's a good one:

http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/201...pe-repair.html

So, what's my point with all this? It is to take a swing at raising awareness, and thereby, eventually, make the specialty field of pipe repair more attractive to newcomers by encouraging them to adopt a tradesman model of business instead of a fixed-price-task one. In short, price their work according to time spent instead of by simplified categories. That's how it has always been for other tradesmen, from plumbers to machinists to welders. Try getting a fixed-price/categorical quote from one of those guys for repairing a leaking water pipe, machining an antique motorcycle engine part from billet, or replacing a flange on an oil pipeline. rotf Their pricing is, and has always been, based on labor and (when applicable) materials.

I think that such an approach would not only help to attract more repairmen, but, over the long term, would benefit their customers. First, since there would be more repairmen, turnaround times would improve. Second, because the quality of everything in life varies, workmanship included, after a while skill would correspond with cost---demand would make it so---and getting a pipe fixed wouldn't be such a crapshoot.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
There ya go.

I am in the process of trying to switch to the tradesman mentality. When you learn in the back of a B&M, you get the one size fits all for one price.

:)

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
In the pipe repair world, the output of shops is viewed as a consumer commodity in the same way as tires, toasters, or cameras. Meaning the only difference is who sells the item to you and for how much. The quality of the same make & model is the same for everyone.

In the artisan pipe making world, though, the output of carvers is unique, and each piece is considered individually and priced accordingly.

That difference is the main reason why carvers outnumber repairmen by fifty (or more) to one in our hobby.

Also, there is:

1) The shop equipment and inventory requirement. While a carver needs only what's required to create the pipes he likes, a full-service repairman needs the tools and materials to replicate the work of all carvers and brands, both new and old (some go back a century or more), and in every style.

and

2) The stress of working on someone else's property is enormous. There are no "do-overs". Tossing a project into the fireplace when a fatal mistake is made is not an option.

The fixed price model is especially deadly when it comes to replacement stems. No matter the quality or price of the original pipe, there's an expectation that a new stem for it should cost a fixed, nominal amount.

What pipe repairmen do however, is not the same as being a retailer of tires, toasters, or cameras. They sell labor, not merchandise.

In fact, it's not even equivalent labor. Most pipe makers agree that the stem takes as much time to shape---sometimes more---than the rest of the pipe... but making a replacement stem after the stummel is complete and its shape cannot be further modified requires the stem to be made "in a vacuum" to fit that stummel exactly. A situation that adds to the difficulty considerably. Then, the labor/time demand is often increased still again by requiring the replacement to exactly match the original in external dimensions. (The original maker didn't have to follow any pattern or meet any particular set of dimensions... whatever simply "looked right" to them became the finished product.) Such dimension matching is unforgiving and slow-going.

For the record, and to be 100% clear, I am emphatically NOT criticizing or trying to minimize what "whole" pipe makers do in any way---being truly good at it is insanely difficult and requires having ALL of MANY uncommon skills rolled into a single person. I know many professional carvers personally, and respect what they do---and am occasionally in awe of what they do---more every day. That their work and business model is more linear and streamlined isn't something they are responsible for creating, it's simply how things are.

It's the combination of those three main things---high financial barrier to entry, the stress of working on other people's property, and the laborious nature of matching the work of others as opposed to creating whatever suits your fancy---that keeps people from entering the repair field (or staying with it for long when they do).

Entire articles have been written about this situation before by highly qualified people, btw. Here's a good one:

http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/201...pe-repair.html

So, what's my point with all this? It is to take a swing at raising awareness, and thereby, eventually, make the specialty field of pipe repair more attractive to newcomers by encouraging them to adopt a tradesman model of business instead of a fixed-price-task one. In short, price their work according to time spent instead of by simplified categories. That's how it has always been for other tradesmen, from plumbers to machinists to welders. Try getting a fixed-price/categorical quote from one of those guys for repairing a leaking water pipe, machining an antique motorcycle engine part from billet, or replacing a flange on an oil pipeline. rotf Their pricing is, and has always been, based on labor and (when applicable) materials.

I think that such an approach would not only help to attract more repairmen, but, over the long term, would benefit their customers. First, since there would be more repairmen, turnaround times would improve. Second, because the quality of everything in life varies, workmanship included, after a while skill would correspond with cost---demand would make it so---and getting a pipe fixed wouldn't be such a crapshoot.
Thank you for taking the time to write this all out. It was incredibly insightful.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I am going to be ordering a new stem for a beloved meer at some point in the future and when I do, Tim will be the first person I contact because of this post.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
FYI hoosier, Tim fixed a pipe for me that an almost identical mishap took place. I didn't realize there were 2 types of "repairs" out there at the time. Man, that was like 10 years ago.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m going to chime in.

I had used Briarville before the current dude. The first three pipes were treated with care and skill.

The next batch had three that were butchered and essentially destroyed.

I reached out to Ryan Alden to save two. He did a grand job.

He is not cheap, nor should he be. He’s a carver, who did me a solid, not a repairman with a menu or fee schedule.

I was gifted a 1904 Pete Meerschaum stummel and I asked Smoking Pipes if Peterson could fit a stem. They said it was too old. But they recommended a hack to basically fit a premade stem on it.

I went out of my way to express how much I wanted to have it done right. He emailed me a week later that the pipe was done.

Bullshit.

So it went to Ryan Alden. I had the mortise repaired and three stems made for it.

Okay, so how much did those repairs cost.

The hack was $50

Ryan Alden was $1,000

I’m only posting this because there appears to be a fantasy that good work is cheap.

Nonsense. Good work costs good money.