PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
that loophole you cite no longer exists and has not for some time
Interesting. So, ebay is going after some sellers and ignoring others? What is the logic being used here?

Oct 7, 2016
Other than pure spite, what's the point of sabotaging an auction at this point? The tins are gone and in the hands of those who purchased them and closing an auction accomplishes nothing but denying someone a tin that they were willing to pay for.
Don't we all, generally, wish eBay allowed tobacco sales unfettered? Are we cutting off our nose to spite our face now?
I am not advocating doing anything. I am not lifting a finger because I am not mad. It seems, as this thread started out, that some people are "sick". Merely suggesting something that might be more productive than complaining about their illness here.
If there is a point that might be accomplished, the disappearance of eBay as a viable market might have an impact on prices.
And whatever I might wish for, eBay is not going to allow unfettered tobacco sales.

Oct 7, 2016
Interesting. So, ebay is going after some sellers and ignoring others? What is the logic being used here?
No logic. Enforcement by eBay has always had a random aspect to it. But they do tend to actually suspend repeat offenders from selling on eBay. Know one individual who got suspended for 30 days for violation of this policy the second time. Irony is that he was selling a jar that was clearly where the value was. He just happened to picture it full of long aago dried out tobacco. Oops.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I think folks should leave other peoples business alone! ebay knows what they need to do, we do not need to be complaining! or reporting sellers! Its not my business to police and mandate things that are not my concern. If its too much $ do not buy!

What if that person selling really needs the money for rent or medical bills! We always think that everyone is an opportunist and in most cases they are only selling to pay off credit cards or to save their relationships! its the truth!

Additionally, what if we had a bad situation that we needed to sell aged tins and recoup so money. Lets F that up for all! These auctions will end and life goes on and things will be back to normal. The Seller is providing a service and the buyer is happy he is getting his items. I see no reason to complain! no one is twisting peoples arms to pay premium on discontinued products. They are doing that with their free will! I also think it is bad Karama to rat out anyone! No one complains when we have members here wanting $120 to $150 for bag of Penzance. Why is this different. Ebay makes money, paypal makes money, seller makes money, post office makes money and the buyer is happy. And there are not hundreds of listings, it is very small number of auctions! Stop being bunch of cry babies and taddle-tails! And NO I've NO AUCTION listings.

Oct 7, 2016
Nice post gkr! No reason to be vindictive and spiteful over a tin of tobacco.
And no reason to be "sick" over pipe tobacco, either. But if you are, why not do something concrete? Might make you feel better, might not.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Additionally, what if we had a bad situation that we needed to sell aged tins and recoup so money. Lets F that up for all!

The policy linked above applies to aged tins.
I really do not care what the policy is, it should not be me or you forcing or reporting anything! ebay has paid staff to look after their policies and their best interest! And I bet you they do not care because they are making money!
What will be next if ebay does not enforce their policies call ATF!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, if I see what I suspect is a fraudulent post I'll report it. We had a numb nuts from China who had filched a bunch of images from various eBay listings and was posting fake listings for pipes. I feel no regret for screwing up his scheme.
And the few times he's come back and I've spotted his shit I've reported them as well and gotten them closed. Trust me, I feel no remorse.
As for eBay having sufficient staff focused on fraudulent listings, that's a laugh. eBay is vast with 32 separate marketplaces worldwide selling millions of items a day. There's no way to police that.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
then turn around only to sell the tobacco on ebay and screw over other pipe smokers (a second time) makes that person a Giant D-bag! So if that's what you did, then I have no problem calling you or anyone else that did that a Giant D-bag and that person would be the lowest of the low.
Again, buying tobacco for your cellar to enjoy and maybe offering something up to another person (via trade or to sell at a reasonable price) who missed out is one thing. Buying tobacco only to turn around and make a profit is another. I'll let you decide what category you fit into.
I am proud to say that I fit in your "giant D-bag"category. You seem to imagine some utopic pipe smoking community where everybody just kicks down their rare tobacco to you, and then they are your buds. Well, reality check, some people buy stuff for less and sell it for more. If you have a problem with that I suggest that you never go to a store again. Do you think Wal Mart adds 2.00 in value to that can of soup that Campbells sold them for 20 cents? I think not. I have both benefited from and contributed to generosity on this particular forum. I have also bought tobacco specifically because I thought it would increase in value. People aren't so easily categorized as you imagine. Personally, I think disparaging perfect strangers both undermines the community spirit of this forum, and shows your true colors.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm also a Giant D Bag. I've helped make affordable baccy, available to guys around the globe for quite awhile now, at no profit. Now this time I planned ahead to make some profit from people that can afford it, and it should not be such a big concern as it is with some folks here. NUFF SAID.

Oct 7, 2016
, it should not be me or you forcing or reporting anything
It won't be me. Nothing about this situation breaks my leg or picks my pocket. But if I was made "sick" (from the title of the thread) by it, I just might do something about it other than hurling epithets at others.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
And no reason to be "sick" over pipe tobacco, either. But if you are, why not do something concrete? Might make you feel better, might not.
That makes no sense. I'm not sick over tobacco in the lady. My comment want aimed at anyone in particular but if I inadvertently struck a nerve, I apologize.
People should consider this. As smokers, is anybody happy about all the legislation and censorship we've seen over the past decade? I assume most would not be happy. But wouldn't someone who reports someone to eBay for selling tobacco at least be indirectly supporting the anti smoking Nazis?
By the way, that's not to be linked with reporting someone perpetrating a scam. That's an entire different scenario.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
It makes me sick that people would suggest tattling to ebay about tobacco resellers. That's low, especially since we all know that some are on this forum.

Oct 7, 2016
Everybody agreed to a user agreement when they joined eBay, whether as a buyer or seller. How or whether eBay chooses to enforce that agreement, at whose urging or otherwise, does not involve the "anti-smoking Nazis". There are other prohibited items, not just tobacco.
Here and on Facebook, there has been more bitterness expressed over perceived profiteering on eBay from the McClellands situation than I have ever seen. Any thread you open contains a multitude of epithets. Reporting a clear violation of a policy does not, if you are among those complaining, strike me as unreasonable in the least.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Reporting a clear violation of a policy does not, if you are among those complaining, strike me as unreasonable in the least.
So, complaining about the open market, and any workarounds that might take place therein in order to sell tobacco person to person, gives anyone in that market the right to snitch on anyone else in order to slow the market down artificially? Seem pretty arbitrary and self serving to me, unless you intend to dedicate yourself to scouring eBay relentlessly, or obvious fraud is occurring that you are trying to help stop.
I mean, under that model, isn't anyone that sells tobacco in this site in violation of federal law? Interstate commerce issues? I have no idea, but I guess I could also cause a stink if I thought it disrupted my own personal compass, but I also choose to live and let live as long as no direct harm is occurring to any one party.
Enough with the self righteousness about eBay sales. Who cares, really?
This thread has become threadbare.

No doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.