PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, on prices. You know the saying, "everyone has their price?" So, I have a Becker scoop pipe that is my absolute favorite. I really don't want to sell it, but when I post pictures of it, I always get someone who asks me how much it would take for me to let it go. What's my price? "For $3500, I could feel ok with letting my prized pipe go." So, having thought this out, I know my price... If I make an ebay post listing this pipe as $3500, I am not a gouger. Same for my tins of Aurora. I want to smoke them, and I want them badly. What would it take for me to let one of those precious babies go? My price is even more. I want $250 for a tin of Aurora.

Is anyone going to take me up on it? Not many would, but like every seller has his price, a buy has his also. So, it might sell.
BTW, I was just kidding about selling my Aurora... unless you would give me $400... I'd consider it. :puffy:

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I literally just made a posting on eBay w an absurd price just to see what’s really happening out there.

If it sells, it sells... the price is stupid high, but I’m almost more interested in the emails I’m about to receive, lol.

Will report back.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cosmic, I concur. I envision myself sitting on the deck, looking out over the Gulf 15 to 20 years from now savoring a bowl of 40th Anniversary or St James Woods. However, if someone offered me $500 for a tin of either, after some considering, I would possibly alter my vision. Possibly not.

May 4, 2015
I couldn't justify turning down an offer of $500 for any of my pipes or tins of tobacco. End of the day, I would find something to replace it/them with to make me happy with the $500 and have plenty left over.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
It depends how deep is your cellar!
I only have 200 tins of McClelland and 90% are Va blends. All I have is for my enjoyment, years to come!
BTW, someone needs to tell the Rooked ebay buyers to retract their bids and buy from SP! They are getting scalped big time!!

Jun 27, 2016
Excitement! I'm out on this most recent shipment, but have fun!
Hopefully anthonyrosenthal got some Balkan Blue this morning.
The alarm bells have been ringing online for what feels like a couple months now. I started believing sometime during or after IPSD week. If internet pipers needed 100% confirmation on McClellands shutting down before they acted, then it was already too late for them, for the most part. To be fair, I'm sure that there are plenty of legit pipers out there who were not aware until it was too late, and hopefully they have been cellaring anyway, since they are legit pipers.

:puffy:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
What about 10 McC Tins for $1,000 on Ebay.
2 x 2017 CC

2 x 2016 CC

2 2009 Beacon

2 McCranie

1 100g Frog Morton > 5 years age
I bet that would sell and I would not even miss it.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
As I live in Europe I have never tried any McClelland blends so wont miss them but I really dont get the moans about the Ebay prices.

Its an auction site, people are not forced to buy it.If they feel ok at that price then thats their decision.

I would never pay those sort of prices but each to there own If you feel its what you are prepared to pay then do so,if not dont

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'm a fair man. My price for Frog Morton Cellar is a tin of St. James Flake, Dark Star, or bulk 2015, 2035, 5100, etc. I have more FMC than I really want but not enough of several other McC blends. I'm missing several blends entirely, so hopefully I can put the FMC to good use trading.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
"The value of a thing is the price it will bring."
Adam Smith, sorta
Look, FMOTT is my "big jar" tobacco, my "half the bowls I smoke" brand, and has been for years. I happened to buy about five large tins late last year. Those'll run out eventually. Then I'll find something else to smoke, of pay the freight.
As someone pointed out, this is not exactly gouging prices for water after a hurricane.

May 4, 2015
I've been keeping my wife abreast of the goings on in the "community" recently. Her reactions are pretty hilarious. I think she's pretty much determined that I and all my online pipe friends have officially run out of problems. Oh, the faces she makes...

Oct 7, 2016
I just looked at my ebay search for "Frog Morton" from last night. Clicked on like 30 auctions and not one has been ended by ebay, so no idea where that is coming from.
Trust the oldgeezer when he makes a statement of fact.
click this link
The top seven or eight most watched auctions listing McClelland have all been shut down. That was the situation this morning, and so it remains.
I will repeat, if you are mad, frustrated, angry, agitated or bothered in any way by these auctions, complain to eBay. There used to be a button right on the page where you could do so. I have no idea if there still is or isn't because I am not mad at anybody. Over anything. Life is too short. Besides, pipe smokers are supposed to be calm, reflective types.

Oct 7, 2016
My original post :
Looks like eBay has ended a bunch of auctions. If you are truly sick of the situation, report and complain about the auctions
"A bunch" does not equal all. That they have shut down some should be evidence, at the very least, that eBay does care about it's rules. That is contrary to many peoples imoression. That they don't care as much as someone thanks they should, or that they have not responded to your complaints in the past, may all be true. That some auctions have recently ended in "big bucks" is undubtedly true. Some auctions may well continue to completion even now, a few days from now, or for any future period you care to name. But some may get shut down, and when every single one of the ones with over 30 watchers gets shut down, that, to me, is "a bunch."
There may, or may not, be a relationship between user complaints and the likelihood that eBay shuts down an auction. But that some are being shut down strikes me as at least some evidence that, if you are frustrated, etc., by this state of affairs, complaining to eBay may not be fruitless.

May 4, 2015
Other than pure spite, what's the point of sabotaging an auction at this point? The tins are gone and in the hands of those who purchased them and closing an auction accomplishes nothing but denying someone a tin that they were willing to pay for.
Don't we all, generally, wish eBay allowed tobacco sales unfettered? Are we cutting off our nose to spite our face now?

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Other than pure spite, what's the point of sabotaging an auction at this point?
I agree with this.
I think they closed those auctions because some of the boneheaded sellers listed the tins as actual tobacco instead of the BS rare tin or collectible or whatever loophole description is needed so as not to piss ebay off.
You can buy and sell tobacco as a collector...just as long as you promise that you will never open those rare tins and smoke the contents. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.