PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I'm thinking of doing what Philip is doing but on land with a motorhome.

Any members have one, any tips as what to buy or what is needed?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Buy a diesel, the fuel economy of a big block will eventually limit your travels. I have met many people in my line of work who live in a RV. Those who could afford more fuel traveled more, sounds simple but most RV's come with a big block V8 or V10. Diesel fuel isn't cheaper but they will get 2 to 3 times the fuel mileage of a comparable gasoline engine. Also get the smallest RV you feel comfortable in, smaller RV's are easier to drive, park, service and will go places that a bus sized RV simply cannot go. Just my 2 cents.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I have a 1973 landou I'll sell for $1500. It runs,2 new batteries,rebuilt master cylnder. I don't need it any more with the new job.....it is a bit of a project.n

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I have a 1973 landou I'll sell for $1500. It runs,2 new batteries,rebuilt master cylnder. I don't need it any more with the new job.....it is a bit of a project.n

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
My parents have lived out of a fifth wheel travel trailer for the last 4 years. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that you keep the service up, their generator went down, and was a bugger to fix..

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
This Is nice!!
most-expensive-motor-home.jpg

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
my wife and i have talked about doing this when we retire. or getting a place on the lake. we are not sure what route to take. i like the idea of both.
mike.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd second the diesel selection - and keep an eye on the development of biodiesel. I have a feeling that could become more important in the next few years.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
We have good friends who did this for three years -- had planned on 2 but added a year.
They said their only mistake was starting out in a much larger RV than they needed. (Money was NOT an issue for them.) Six months in they downsized, realizing they didn't need quite as much room, trading/buying a somewhat smaller, but very nicely appointed rig that still had the power to tow their little Suzuki. (This thing still had a queen-bed stateroom, comfy salon that bumped out, nicer electronics than my house, etc. But they found it easier to navigate through mountains, cities etc.
They loved it and, with internet, were able to keep their business on a slow boil and stay well in touch with folks.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
be sure you are clear on the expense involved. way more upkeep expense involved then a house or even a trailer. unless you can handle a lot of the maint and repairs it get's real expensive.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Get the smallest one you think you can live in comfortably.
That's the advice I was given when I was looking for a boat, and it was good advice. Not only are costs kept down, but I have a boat I can single hand.
The same applies for you. A smaller one will be less expensive to maintain. And you will be glad when you start backing it in and out of small camping spaces or driving it onto ferries or wherever you might take it. A smaller one will be able to get to places a larger one can't.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know that people lived in RVs. Where would my garden go? :(

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
My in-laws did it for several years. They had a 27 foot Winnebago and towed a small 4x4 jeep for running errands and sight-seeing. Make sure it's a 4x4 manual since that's the only vehicle you can completely disengage the transmission while towing.
Alternatively, I've seen some very nice ones lately built on the Sprinter frame. They are more rudimentary, but smaller and easier to handle.
One question you should ask yourself: "Do you want to drive somewhere, park the RV and run around in a smaller vehicle" or "drive the RV everywhere". In you prefer the first, you can go with something a little bigger, more comfortable. Probably a 27-35 foot diesel Class A. In the latter, I'd go with a Class C.
There's some good forums out there. We've been looking at the same idea.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
do you mean you want to live in a RV parked static somewhere or do you mean you want to perpetually travel in n RV?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I lived part time in a travel trailer for many years and I found many of the campgrounds expensive and full of board old busybodies who wanted someone to talk at during the week and screaming kids and drunk revelry on the weekends. You can find more privacy in a apt complex. 8O

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks all, I'm still looking not sure if I'll go big or small, if big I have a jeep now to pull, if I go small I think I'll sell the jeep. I'm even looking at class B's but not alot of room in them for full time living. I would come back to Wi. in summer and go south or out west in winter. The cold is starting to get to me. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.