PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
But seriously this world is getting equally stupid as it is 'progressive'

Who in the hell would want a (very expensive) car that you have to start with a mobile phone?

Who in the hell needs to play games that bad, on a screen inches away from the driver's face?

This world shits me on a daily basis.

Good thing I can't afford a Tesla...

It's frustrating with the phone thing as I want to get rid of mine, but now it seems everything requires some kind of 'app'.

'This world shits on me on a daily basis.' - I am stealing for my future rants against modernity.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I've got a 2004 4runner. 260,000 miles. There are many things broken, but at least I don't need a cellphone and an app to get it running. I need a key. And sometimes maybe a gentle pat and a "you can do it, old girl...".

I recognize that EVs are what's coming, no matter how we might gripe. Tesla sucks, Elon can fuck off directly into the sun for a variety of reasons. One day, I'll own an electric vehicle because that'll be all I can buy, and I'm fine with that. As long as I don't need to pay Verizon for the privilege of starting my vehicle.

We're in the "tween times.". EVs aren't yet utilitarian, they're still flashy and full of touch screen garbage. I want an EV with roll up windows, please.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"We're in the "tween times.". EVs aren't yet utilitarian, they're still flashy and full of touch screen garbage. I want an EV with roll up windows, please."

Jaylotw has nailed it!

I'm all for progress but a line has to be drawn. We cannot and should not be told what we are to buy, we need practical choices that suit us as individuals, not some 'off the peg' car that has features that nobody actually want let alone need.

My first car with electric windows was a Nissan Sunny LX. That was great until they stopped working and would have cost over £200 to fix (which I declined)......not good.

Also I've noticed that most modern cars look so alike that it's difficult to tell one from another without close scrutiny and a glimpse of the badge.

Regards,

Jay.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I'm all for progress but a line has to be drawn. We cannot and should not be told what we are to buy

At one time technology was made to aid men. But that is not where the logic stops. We are now in the territory where men are made to aid technology.

Serie_Jacques_Ellul-600x600.jpg

<<Laughs in Jacques Ellul.>>

Reactions: Brendan

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I had a circa 2000 Grand Cherokee. Lemme guess? You’ve replaced multiple window motors and presently, one of your rear tail lights is out?
I did replace the drivers side brake bulb in my 2000 Tundra in the parking lot of the O'Reilly Auto Parts store yesterday. It took me about 3 minutes. That's it other than brakes, batteries, blades and tires. I'm self conscious unlocking the door with the key thinking people are wondering what I'm doing.

A car that can be controlled by a phone is very convenient- I no longer get into a uncomfortably hot car in summer or a uncomfortably freezing car in the winter - I just turn the AC/Heater on from the phone. Sometimes from over half a mile away.
We visited an open air mall to see Christmas lights and parked half a mile away. When we started to leave we turned the heater on, and by the time we walked to the the car, it was at a nice 70 degree

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But seriously this world is getting equally stupid as it is 'progressive'

Who in the hell would want a (very expensive) car that you have to start with a mobile phone? << Snipped bits out >>
I don't know of any that are limited to starting with a phone. It is a nice addition, however, just an option that can be very useful at times, such as when you have an immediate errand and don't have the key on you.