PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A few weeks ago I read an article where hundreds of Tesla owners were locked out of their cars. Apparently they were unable to 'start' their cars the usual way....via mobile phone due to some glitch.***

Now we have this...

Tesla disables gaming while driving feature - BBC News

...and before anyone shouts at me, I do not condone playing Space Invaders whilst driving. What niggles me is that an owner no longer seems to have full and total rights or control to his or her own car.....it is all seemingly controlled by some software hub in some obscure town somewhere.

How long will it be before we see a person wanted by the police find themselves locked into their own car and driven directly to the local police station without having any interaction whatsoever?

A slippery slope make no mistake.

***What was wrong with starting a car with a key? Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest.

Gripe over puffy

Regards and season's greetings to one and all,

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A few weeks ago I read an article where hundreds of Tesla owners were locked out of their cars. Apparently they were unable to 'start' their cars the usual way....via mobile phone due to some glitch.***

Now we have this...

Tesla disables gaming while driving feature - BBC News

...and before anyone shouts at me, I do not condone playing Space Invaders whilst driving. What niggles me is that an owner no longer seems to have full and total rights or control to his or her own car.....it is all seemingly controlled by some software hub in some obscure town somewhere.

How long will it be before we see a person wanted by the police find themselves locked into their own car and driven directly to the local police station without having any interaction whatsoever?

A slippery slope make no mistake.

***What was wrong with starting a car with a key? Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest.

Gripe over puffy

Regards and season's greetings to one and all,

Jay.
If it keeps some SOB from running over a bunch of kids marching in a Christmas parade, I can live with it.

Besides, your virtual online existence is largely controlled by algorithms.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it might be much more fun to be Elon Musk than to own one of his cars. He's sort of a fireworks display of egotism, without much comprehension that there are other people in the world. I'm not sure if he has advanced the EV or set it back. EV's have a ways to go before they are a good household car for the working public. A little humility in their design would be good.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yup I've been going backwards. Went from a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee to a 98 Cherokee. Never been happier.
Yep 98 Grand Cherokee here, could be happier though - my thing has electrical bugs, which reminds me now to put the battery on charge over the Xmas break.

Aside from minor electrical bugs, the thing is unbreakable!

(Mine is an Austrian build, so maybe that's the issue)

Reactions: didimauw

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Jeremy Clarkson said it nicely in an episode comparing supercars made in Margaret Thatcher's time vs Tony Blair time. He said something along the lines of "the controls of the cars of the Thatcher era are a bunch of yesmen, they do what you say, when you say it, the cars from Tony Blair's era are like driving by committee, we need the UN's opinion, we may need to bring Bono in...", and that's nearly 20 years ago now...