PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
You are comparing apples to oranges.

This thread is about aging tinned tobacco which is totally different than aging whole leaf. The tobacco you get in a tin has already been aged a minimum of 2 years before being purchased by the manufacturer. It is then processed( with sauces) in to pipe tobacco. It is these sauces that are affecting the aging of the tinned tobacco.
I was going to chime in with something similar, but much less informed than this. There is likely aging, and then there is aging, even after the initial aging. ;) So maybe cracking a tin changes things, but does not "stop aging".
Jitterbugdude... Is aging in a tin enzymatic like the initial aging, or bacteria (aerobic or anaerobic), or both?

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Too complicated :)

Me like = me buy and stash :)

Small cans if possible.

If bulk = jar in small 8oz jars; reasonably tight :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
How was aged tobacco discovered ?
Something left under a bale for years or sealed in a barrel and forgotten about .. I’m thinking it was sans oxygen but not a perfect seal

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How was aged tobacco discovered ?
Pipe smokers have been aging tobacco for a very long time. Most likely for as along as man has been smoking it. It didn't take long to realize that the old stuff tasted better.

I’m thinking it was sans oxygen but not a perfect seal
Hanging from rafters, stuffed in the trunk of tree, stashed in am oilcloth ditty bag, found in a tin on the shelf of a quiet country store....

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Fortified and port wines have a similar history , they might come from storm bound ships that foundered or went off course . Lots of stories about offloading wine barrels into caverns or cellars , stored and picked up years later by the merchants who brought them back to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.