PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tobacco you get in a tin has already been aged a minimum of 2 years before being purchased by the manufacturer.

Common knowledge, three sweats takes two years. But, sometimes it is the manufacturer, or the farmer. But, it is done to make the stuff smokable.

And, someone has thrown that very same cigarette research malarki at me before also. Can we just cut that out? It proves nothing and is not even verifiable.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Where did you get the 2 year figure from? If you can put up a link that backs that up, I would love to see it
Try:

"Physiology and Biochemistry of Tobacco Plants", by T.C. Tso ( Chapter 16)

Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Feb 1936

"The Story of Luck Strike", by R. Flannagan

"All about Tobacco", by M. Sherman

"Tobacco Land USA" ( A large PR brochure put out by Chesterfield)
Historically, tobacco has always been aged several years before being blended and sold. It would not surprise me though that in today's "Got to have it now" environment that the storage period is probably much less. Let's face it, if you are going to be adding sauces and chemicals to tobacco, why age it?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I don't have a lot of experience to draw upon due to the fact I've smoked for a bit less than a year but I did get a chance to sample some 5 year old Escudo and it was a much smoother and flavorful smoke than fresh Escudo which I find a bit harsh.

Some blends, like Klondike Gold by Bringham are also aged for two years in the tin before being released.
The two years that Jitterbug is talking about is a part of the curing process (not really but sort of). The reason he mentions it is because of that bunk cigarette tobacco article posted by okiebrad. It has two years to be smokable, and then it's tinned and released. Some blends, like Klondike Gold Flakes, are even held back longer to allow it to mellow further. There are others. Germains has several blends that are aged in the tins before released. But, I've lost track of what the point was.
So, Hawky, are you still anti-aging, or are you trying to make the rest of us not want aged tobaccos also. :wink:

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
You are comparing apples to oranges.

This thread is about aging tinned tobacco which is totally different than aging whole leaf. The tobacco you get in a tin has already been aged a minimum of 2 years before being purchased by the manufacturer. It is then processed( with sauces) in to pipe tobacco. It is these sauces that are affecting the aging of the tinned tobacco.
jitterbugdude,
Thanks for the correction. My intent was not to compare leaf and tinned tobacco as the same. My intent was to highlight the aging of tobacco and its importance even to the cigarette companies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Common knowledge, three sweats takes two years. But, sometimes it is the manufacturer, or the farmer. But, it is done to make the stuff smokable.

And, someone has thrown that very same cigarette research malarki at me before also. Can we just cut that out? It proves nothing and is not even verifiable.

So the leaf is aged before it is tinned, correct? I seriously doubt all tins are aged two years before they are sent out, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

[/quote]So, Hawky, are you still anti-aging, or are you trying to make the rest of us not want aged tobaccos also. :wink:
Damn it! You're on to me! I really, really want to get some Kolondike Gold though, I'm a huge fan of R.L. Will, Long Golden Flake is, by far, my favorite baccy, I even have several tins for my storage.

Honestly, I'm not anti-aging but I do question it. I think there is a huge placebo effect because of the suggestive nature and all the hype that comes with it.

kentos

Lurker
May 17, 2017
2 years late to the party, but I have come to believe aerobic bacteria will ferment the tobacco, anaerobic bacteria will “age” it. I had a 250g box of FVF in a non airtight jar aging for 5 years and it has become jet black and very acidic/vinegary in tin note and flavor. I popped open a same vintage tin and the difference is remarkable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This thread is such a kludge of really bad information (masquerading as science) and really good information (presented in a straightforward manner). Just look and see which posters are still active here and you’ll have a good idea of who to listen to.

Jitterbugdude really is way more humble than he should be. I think it would embarrass him to sing his accolades, but really he knows more and has done more than any tobacco farmer that I have spoken with. And, I talked to a lot of farmers when I was starting to grow. Farmers tend to just know their one specialty, but Jitter has grown more varieties than any other farmer I have heard of. And, I’ve sampled his work, and there’s very little on the market that is better. Basically, when Jitter speaks, I take notes. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, he's the E.F. Hutton* of tobacco growers? That's cool. I almost wish I had the space and climate to grow some myself. Almost.
*Old firm, old TV ad campaign. "When E. F. Hutton speaks, people listen.''

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds about right, but at least it's an aerobic fermentation! (Which becomes anaerobic only in expensive well sealed coffins. Gross)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe people overthink simple things way too much. I've found I like new tobacco, moderately aged tobacco and well aged tobacco. I have mild paranoia about the future of tobacco sales and availability, so I am buying a lot of it just in case I'm fortunate enough to live a long time. The best news is that most everyone seems to be in agreement that if stored properly, tobacco is good to smoke after decades of aging. That's all I need to know and think about.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
bb261876373440ea235ef16f1f18da76.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.