PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Falcons! I'm willing to bet they'll take even more of a beating than a cob will.

@mikethompson an idea for a new experiment?
Couldn't agree more!

There's a bowl for every blend, they can handle all weather, they're light, and no pipe cleaners needed: take off the bowl, blow through the stem, give it a flick; good to go.

The younger generations find them fascinating, too.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I am almost exclusively outdoors and most of the time on the move when I've got a lit pipe. For me it's generally 3/4 bend or more. As per above recommendations, my Peterson System Standard 314's are the bees knees for this.

317 is good but small for me, I've often got to account for some offering of tobacco to the "wind gods", which like to take a share whilst I'm outdoors.

But I can go up in size if it hangs correctly. Peterson short army 69, system standard 312, 9 series, etc.

Can't accommodate a straight stem with most walking about, or a narrow bit if I'm very active, as it tends to "roll" in my clench.

So for me, "lunting" requires the correct stem width at the bit, and ideal angle for it to work well.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Can you post a pic of this assembly? Sounds very useful.
Stick a pipe cleaner in the stem and fold it over , load your tobacco, use a wind cap to keep the tobacco in the bowl after its full, put pipe in your shirt pocket.
Small pipes work well in flap over shirt pockets like a blue jean or flannel shirt.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Stick a pipe cleaner in the stem and fold it over , load your tobacco, use a wind cap to keep the tobacco in the bowl after its full, put pipe in your shirt pocket.
Small pipes work well in flap over shirt pockets like a blue jean or flannel shirt.
Thanks! But how do you bend the pipe cleaner over the wind cap? Or is that a separate pipe cleaner. That would make more sense, I realize… 😅

Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks! But how do you bend the pipe cleaner over the wind cap? Or is that a separate pipe cleaner. That would make more sense, I realize… 😅
You dont!
Pipe cleaner stays in the stem the whole time and never leaves the stem until you light the pipe.
When your done swab the pipe out and toss the cleaner you just used.
I mean if you want half a pipe cleaner hanging out your pocket I guess you could not bend it over to make it fit in your pocket if your cool with that.38852CAD-7558-4AAA-B1AC-3AC51C0E8F05.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You dont!
Pipe cleaner stays in the stem the whole time and never leaves the stem until you light the pipe.
I mean if you want half a pipe cleaner hanging out your pocket I guess you could not bend it over to make it fit in your pocket if your cool with that.View attachment 297206
Thanks! Now I follow 😅

• Haha
Reactions: BenMN and PaulRVA

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
You dont!
I mean if you want half a pipe cleaner hanging out your pocket I guess you could not bend it over to make it fit in your pocket if your cool with that.View attachment 297206
This is quite the rig! The bent Petersons make a great pipe for on the move