PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I must say it. My Peterson 313, has become my most highly desired pipe when it’s time to go take a walk and enjoy a bowl. It’s light weight and effortless balance make it a favorite piece to enjoy on the move.
IMG_5634.jpeg

What other pipes have proven superior in the annals of lunting as I am on the hunt for a suitable companion for the venerable 313.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I must say it. My Peterson 313, has become my most highly desired pipe when it’s time to go take a walk and enjoy a bowl. It’s light weight and effortless balance make it a favorite piece to enjoy on the move.
View attachment 296726

What other pipes have proven superior in the annals of lunting as I am on the hunt for a suitable companion for the venerable 313.
The 314 and the 317.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I couldn't walk and smoke on a bet.
I'm with you on that.

Going for a walk is always exercise for me. Not something I do at a strolling pace.
Walking at a fast clip or around hilly terrain/in the bush means increased breathing rate and taking deeper breaths - not conducive to a nice leisurely smoke at all

So for me, the two are mutually exclusive
Now sitting down for a relaxing smoke AFTER a bushwalk - THAT I can relate to 😁

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
View attachment 296726

That's a beauty ! I can see your choice ...I have an Irish Second XL339S only a few mm larger and would agree it makes a good lunting pipe but my preference would be my XL Hand Made House pipe or my Pub Pipe for larger bowl assuming a long walk. My Aran Irish Army 68 is roughly the size of yours too.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
View attachment 296726

What series is that 313 from?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
As a guy that smokes outdoors, usually while doing other tasks that involve ambulation, I must go on the record: of all the terms specific to the activities and accoutrement related to smoking a pipe “lunting” annoys me to no end.

Now that that’s out of the way, as long as the pipe is lightweight, suits the blend I’m carrying, and has a bit that provides a solid purchase, I’m good.

I’m thinking a Pete 317 may be somewhere in my future for an out and about pipe.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I typically prefer sitting when I smoke, but every now and then the weather is just right and I feel like stretching my legs.

In such cases, I prefer either my Boswell straight billiard, or my Peterson 8s. The latter is probably the better of the two for lunting, but the Boswell is an old favorite and surprisingly compact and lightweight for a Boswell.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I
I typically prefer sitting when I smoke, but every now and then the weather is just right and I feel like stretching my legs.

In such cases, I prefer either my Boswell straight billiard, or my Peterson 8s. The latter is probably the better of the two for lunting, but the Boswell is an old favorite and surprisingly compact and lightweight for a Boswell.
Boswells fishing pipes look so cool. Have to check out a Peterson 8. Peterson is really growing on me. I used to be a gas station coffee and Grabow guy but rusticated or sandblasted Peterson’s are a new weak spot. Guess this is just how living with PAD is…