PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a fan of KK either. Wal-Mart's bakery makes great cinnamon doughnuts and the blueberry cake doughnut from Dunkin is a favorite.

May 4, 2015
Krispy Kreme is garbage. There's nothing to them. You pay the price for a dozen, but only receive the equivalent of 6 actual donuts.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Krispy Kreme hot and now glazed donuts are good. I used to run through the drive-thru and pick up a dozen and eat them all before I got home (5 minute drive). The one close to my house has since closed. I think the local competition did them in?
I think SPC made a great decision with the choice of Dublin for an office. Not only will they be able to pick up some 'hot and now', they'll be in a beautiful city with a decent amount of pipe smokers to cater to. I wish them the best of luck. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a donut fan, and Krispy Kreme's are my favorite. Like saltedplug, I'd eat a dozen if they were in front of me. There aren't a lot in the Mid-Atlantic area, but I know where everyone in MD/VA/PA and NY are located...

I like Dunkin coffee, but don't care for their donuts (except for the vanilla cruller, which is frequently not available).

On the morning of my daughters wedding, I picked up 25 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts. They had six of these "donut cakes" sprinkled around the reception. I had my fair share...

We have a small donut shop here in Maryland "Krumpe Donuts", they've been around for about 40 years. People line up in an alley at midnight when they open up. Half the kids in my neighborhood work there. But, I just don't like their donuts.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/md/krumpes_donuts_restaurant

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not a fan of KK. Give me a plain cake donut from DD anytime. I don't want any glaze or icing on my donuts.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I grew up (and wide) with Dunkin' Donuts.
I don't recall ever noticing Krispy Kreme until 15 years ago or so.
I have a great indie donut shop less than 2 miles away, Mrs. Johnson's in Austin. They have the best blueberry cake donuts I've ever had.
When I'm slummin' I like to hit 7-11 for a Colombian coffee and their apple fritter.
One of my earliest memories was walking downtown with my great aunt when she got her hair done. If I passed the behavior test, I got a Bavarian cream donut for my troubles.
Maybe it's because I was young and it was special, but I've never found a Bavarian cream as good in 45 years of trying.
jay-roger.jpg

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I went to a Krispy Kreme when I was in Mississippi once, meh. Their doughnuts tasted like you took a cheap white hamburger bun, punched a hole in it, and put icing on it.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I prefer DD to KK.KK has all that slimy sticky goo all over them.Back in the day,my father would take me for DD on route 25A on Long Island ,New York.The men of Laudisi Enterprises May soon be letting their belts a few notches.

piper64

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 21, 2018
Northern Ireland
Just seen on our local news that during the worst of the storm yesterday irish police threatened to arrest people who were queueing outside the new donut place for there own saftey lol. The best bit is the store was closed because of the storm :rofl:. One woman said she was queueing just in case it opened.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The trouble with chains, whether take-out or sit-down, entrees or donuts, is that they vary in quality depending on who is doing the cooking. Many have kitchen staff that works from a looseleaf notebook and has little interest in food of any kind, except what they eat themselves. So bad reports on some Krispy Kreme outlets don't surprise me. And people seldom agree on food ... barbecue for one classic example. I think our local KK is truly good, the kitchen has donut artists, donuts always fresh, good ingredients, and done just right, dough and toppings across the menu. Not all would agree, sure. But I have to keep my distance, or it draws me in.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
It was crazy here in the denver area when we got our fist Krispy Kreme 20 years ago or so, we waited for a week and then decided to go at 3:00 am to skip the line, we still waited for at least 2 hours. The line must have been 3/4 of a mile long in the middle of the night. That being said, those warm original donuts are magic.

Now we have VooDoo Donut the chain started in Portland Oregon, and they have the same phenomenon, but with more adventurous flavors. They are delicious, but in my old age I am not going to be waiting in line for hours for much of anything. Except maybe Syrian Latakia blends, or maybe some discontinued McClelland blends. :lol:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As a self-proclaimed expert on doughnuts (former copper) I had my first Krispy Kreme two days ago. It was not bad tasting. My go-to is still a local bakery, the owner makes them fresh and she has some icing recipes Krispy Kreme would probably pay dearly for.
As an aside, the best apple fritter is to be had at a bakery in Girdwood, AK. And, I do mean the best! I may not have the palate for tobacco but, doughnuts? Them I know and understand.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Speaking as the operations guy for a 53 restaurant chain, I have to hand it to KK as by my experience, they are very consistent in their delivery and quality. We've been to KK's in Hawaii, the mid-Atlantic, Lousianna, Florida and Puerto Rico. There has been little variation on my visits. (of course hot donuts are in a league of their own!)

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I grew up (and wide) with Dunkin' Donuts.

Dunkin in the 70's...as a teenager..For a chain was Fantastic(Remember they sacked the donuts Vertically)..The Glazed were Chewy and Doughy...Yum Yum..Today there Garbage. KK closed up by me (NJ) last year. We have bakery shops that make good old fashion Greatness. Universal Studios at LARD LAD DONUTS...I can eat 2 of these Big Boys and there are really good.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
When they first opened in our area years ago, it was crazy. Long lines of cars & people inside. It cooled off quite a bit when people were starting to eat low carb. I moved & there are no locations within 100 miles. That’s probably good- as they were definitely addictive !

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After watching a few of those "Irish People Try" videos, I now know that I need Irish people in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.