PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve lived in all 3 environments as well. Of course I was generalizing, but in general it is my experience in the suburbs and the city that is not even a sentiment in most people’s mind in these locals. Stereotypes exist for a reason. In small towns the hats are almost always off. I just was saying to the crowd here that they shouldn’t assume an indoor hat-wearer is being rude intentionally. And as a free thinker we must ask ourselves “Why is this rude?” My brain replies “I can’t find anything intrinsically rude about it.” It’s just what I was told growing up.

I’m more traditional and don’t wear them indoors, though I occasionally will wear a beanie or sports hat in casual environments like the grocery or a casual restaurant.

I sure ain’t tipping my hat, or removing it when speaking to women like I’m Michael Landon…you’d get laughed out of town where I live (suburbs).

he was replying to me, here is my reply^

Hell no, this seems like something nobody should do IMO, but perhaps I am being too old-fashioned
☕
1706208654570.gif
…now back to cool covers. 😉☕

I was watching a documentary on early America history last week and virtually every male interviewed had a hat on indoors, so I can well believe it's a real life thing.

For me, on coming indoors off come the shoes then the hat.

Jay.
Ummmm, I agree with everything except the shoes. I am sure that if I started taking my shoes off when I go inside people's houses, they gonna have some problems with that. If someone took their shoes off in my house, I'd be wondering, "how long is this MF'er planning on staying?" Ha ha.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Quite right.
I’ve always fancied a wide brimmed tweed fedora, like old Basil Rathbone used to wear. Never seen one though.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Thanks Orlando, unfortunately it’s in black. A bit too ‘Herr Flick’ for this Englishman.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Truly, what the hell difference does it make?
I hope people see my politeness as a sign of respect and that they think, "His mommy and daddy raised him right." So, I hope my show of respect to others truly redounds on my parents, rest their souls.

I do understand that civility and respect are out of style for many but, such was ingrained in me at a young age. It's a sad commentary on society in my opinion that a lot of people are so self-involved. But, that's simply my opinion and, I do judge people by their actions/behaviors as that's really all we have to judge others by.

I have seen "proper" hat etiquette in metropolises and in rural areas. Good manners are simply good manners, no matter where you live.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have been a "hat guy" all my life and have a fair number of vintage and custom-made hats, mainly in the Fedora style.
I would steer you away from wool felt as it does not hold up well to hard use and inclement weather.
One of my most worn is an Akubra Campdraft. It has seen years of daily wear and hard use in all kinds of weather. So, I can attest that Akubras are well made and durable. In fact, I am about to take this hat in to be cleaned and reblocked. I expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Years ago, I switched to Tilley hats for hunting and outdoor activities and their LTM6 "Airflow" hats have become my most worn day-to-day hat especially during the summer. Of course, I live in the desert and heat is the main issue even in winter. When I head into the mountains in cold weather I wear the Akubra or Stetson.
The Tilley's are not inexpensive compared to hats of the same style, but their quality and warranty are exceptionally good.
I like my Tilly hat for outdoor stuff. Mostly I wear Panamas or Borsalinos.

Reactions: brandaves