PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I take my hat off in most restaurants if I’m dining in but sometimes I don’t, usually if it’s cold out or I’m done cycling or hiking and I’m at a fairly casual place. I don’t have time in my life to care about what others do and I’ve got better things to do with my life than to judge others on their choices.

Additionally, since I’m bald and my dome gets cold, and I keep my place chilly, yeah I’m often wearing a beanie inside.

I take my hat off in most restaurants if I’m dining in but sometimes I don’t, usually if it’s cold out or I’m done cycling or hiking and I’m at a fairly casual place. I don’t have time in my life to care about what others do and I’ve got better things to do with my life than to judge others on their choices.

Additionally, since I’m bald and my dome gets cold, and I keep my place chilly, yeah I’m often wearing a beanie inside.
I'm balding too. That's the reason I wear a hat in the first place, but inside, I would expect my momma to slap me to the ground, ha ha.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I think a big current issue with restaurants is most don't have coat/hat hooks anymore. They just cram as many seats as they are permitted. This leaves the option of putting your coat/hat on a seat, lap or on your table. I think putting your hat on the table you are about to eat from is worse than just leaving the damn thing on your head.

That being said, I almost never wear a hat if I'm going out to eat to begin with.

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I think a big current issue with restaurants is most don't have coat/hat hooks anymore. They just cram as many seats as they are permitted. This leaves the option of putting your coat/hat on a seat, lap or on your table. I think putting your hat on the table you are about to eat from is worse than just leaving the damn thing on your head.

That being said, I almost never wear a hat if I'm going out to eat to begin with.
And on top of that if a place does have a coat rack, and it’s busy, I’m not putting my stuff there. I don’t want my coat and hat to walk off without me.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Oh I’ve been in plenty of places in rural USA where people are wearing hats inside. Let’s not turn this into another boring rural vs urban debate.
Stop making something out of nothing. I‘m the only one here in agreement with you but now you sound the same as these ornery geezers getting all bent because not everyone is from Mayberry.

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Stop making something out of nothing. I‘m the only one here in agreement with you but now you sound the same as these ornery geezers getting all bent because not everyone is from Mayberry.
Sorry you choose to feel that way! I’m sharing my observations of having lived in rural, suburban, and urban areas that seem to run counter to your experience. But the rural vs urban culture debate is tired and old lol.

As for who agrees with my opinions, meh lol. We’re all entitled to them regardless of whether we agree or not.

Reactions: keith929
Jeez people "assumptions" much. This was brought up by Mawnansmiff, and I don't believe he lives in rural Welshland or Wales (kiddin'). It's just a manners thing, and apparently you guys are demonstrating that. No one had to actually admit to wearing a hat indoors. That was on ya'll. But, feel free to be whiney, ha ha.

All nice hats... keep the pics coming.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Jeez people "assumptions" much. This was brought up by Mawnansmiff, and I don't believe he lives in rural Welshland or Wales (kiddin'). It's just a manners thing, and apparently you guys are demonstrating that. No one had to actually admit to wearing a hat indoors. That was on ya'll. But, feel free to be whiney, ha ha.

All nice hats... keep the pics coming.
If there's no reasonable place to place your hat, the expectation of taking it off in the name of manners is lost. I find it more disrespectful to put a grubby had on the table or seat than to leave it on your head. Chicken and egg type of thing.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've always loved the idea of this sort of hat, but I myself can't pull it off -- I look like I'm LARPing something.

I wear a ballcap in the sun, a trapper hat in the snow, and a bucket hat when shooting bows. I look good in the first and ridiculous in the latter two. And that's OK.

Last edited: