PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
LOL, yeah I'm not too embarrassed. I noticed something a little different about this particular tin of IF before I did the forum search and found that old post. Had I read the post first and then started going chicken little about it then, yeah, I'd probably be a bit more chagrin than I am. As it was, it seemed reasonable considering the difference in taste that I was experiencing with this tin. Good lesson for me though. :)

May 31, 2012
Any updates on this?
The email from Peterson seemed to confirm a change,

perhaps they confused MB with STG?
I've noticed how closely PPP comes to the STG-made plugs and wouldn't be surprised if they made it.
Is this a German market only thing?
The K&K website used to contain info for the Peterson stuff, didn't they?

If I remember correctly?

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/pfeifentabake/

...why else would they remove it?
Weird.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
The most frustrating thing about this site is that when users pose questions they remain unanswered. Yet the users of the forum are the reason the advertisers are here generating the revenue.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I'm seriously considering ordering some tins of the new Rattray's Stirling Flake from Europe and doing a sort of "Pepsi Challenge" with the IF that I can currently get. Not sure how many questions that will answer since I smoked all my older IF but should be a fun experiment.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I think the conclusion is that if you ask how to pack a pipe, 50 people will be willing to help. However, ask for some industry knowledge and the industry insiders are nowhere to be seen. They will make an appearance should you fail to capitalise a thread or put an apostrophe in the wrong place.
This question has been asked for months. As usual nobody answers and the speculation continues.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I don't know, I think we can conclude that some bad information was passed around. I mean, we have Per Jensen from Mac Baren stating, in absolutely unambiguous terms, that they aren't producing Irish Flake. That's pretty conclusive isn't it? As the OP for this thread I'm pretty happy with that development.

May 31, 2012
keep_calm__now_panic_by_glennster-d30nr9z.jpg

Yeah, I ain't gonna bitch until if I notice an unwelcome change, I'm still on older tins of IF, but I have smoked recent production PPP and all was well.
The confusion still remains though.
The email from Peterson said:

The Peterson blends previously made by Kohlhase & Kopp are now being manufactured by Mac Baren.
We would like to assure you there will be absolutely no difference in the quality or the selection of tobaccos available to the pipe smoker.
...and Per Jensen himself has told us that's not the case,

thank you Per.
So it would seem whoever wrote that Peterson response was in error.
I'm too lazy to email Pete, but a follow-up email requesting more specific info might provide an answer,

or create more confusion, who knows?
I wonder if there was a public outcry when the change from Murray's to K&K happened?
I know the tins looked better when Murray's made 'em,

but they never made IF or PPP I don't think.

torque

........if you do order some Stirling Flake, you may also would like to add Ilsted Dark Fired Plug, it's said by many to be uncut IF --- I've been meaning to order some, not all the German shops carry it, the shipping prices put me off...the blend descrip is pretty much the same that K&K used to have on their site about IF...
00274.jpg

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Ahhh, now that IIsteds looks very interesting. Any links to shops that might ship to the states? I know I can get Stirling Flake from HU Tobacco but not sure if they carry this one.

May 31, 2012
I was unlucky a couple of months ago when I was trying to score some, I kind of gave up due to the hassle, as I said, I'm too lazy... :lol:
The 2 spots I found willing to ship over here both showed it in stock, but it wasn't really.

They both communicated very well with me, and changed the stock status after my attempted order,

momentan nicht verfügbar

http://www.zigarrendirekt.de/Ilsted-Dark-Fired-Plug-Pfeifentabak-50g
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pfeifentabak-Ilsted-50-u-100-g-Dose-Nachfullpackungen-Sampler-Holzkiste-/261181325998?pt=Zigarren_Tabakwaren&var=&hash=item3ccf9ec2ae
The plug was intro'd in 2007,

if you do a search in quotes of "dark fired plug" alotta specific results pop up.
K&K also makes Ilsted's Va. Plug, which many say is unsliced University Flake,

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3811/ilsted-virginia-plug

...the 2014 review from the_german talks about how he wanted the DFP but couldn't find it,

it may be out of production?
The plugs are still listed on the K&K website,

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/?article/search/0/category=20/__boolop__=AND/destination=228:results/__layout__=533/ex_creferenz_marke=676/__export__=712/ref_pfeifentabak
If you do order some tabak from Hans, maybe he could give more info or know something, especially since he's distributing the new Rattray's by K&K he might just know, and I've heard he's a really great guy.
I wish more plugs were easily available to us in the States.
An Irish Flake plug would be totally awesome.
I wish Peterson would do a "heritage series" type of thing and have a whole line of plugs besides just PPP,

look at all these old Irish plugs, they hadda big selection back in the day!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/en/si/0078.html

:puffy:

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I'm deeply disappointed to hear that Macbarren is doing Petersons tobaccos now! I love Irish Oak and am currently smoking my first Irish Flake as we speak, having had the tin stored away for the past few months.
I had ordered some St. James Flake bulk that was extremely wet, and dried it out again and again. By the time I got to the last ounce it was like cardboard, completely flavorless so I dumped it (lol here come the haters). Never could get it to burn well or get it lit.
Irish flake seemed a littl moist but it lights easily and I dont mind relighting... nice sweetness to it... came in the square tin. (not rectangular

May 31, 2012
I'm deeply disappointed to hear that Macbarren is doing Petersons tobaccos now!
Mr. Per Jensen says that they are not,

and that is definitive...
Gentlemen. Just to clearify matters. Mac Baren does not prodoce either Irish Flake or University flake. We have our own HH Old Dark Fired, and is quite happy about it.

Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren Tobacco
The question is who then?

If K&K is no longer making them?
It's said that Hyde Park is made by Gawith Hoggarth, and I've suspected that STG makes PPP - it looks like an STG plug to me and smokes very similar...
...so it would seem that Peterson relies on multiple makers.
They seem to be very open with information, and if anyone is concerned they should email them to try and clarify the situation...
...the recent production PPP I've smoked seemed its normal good self,

so I won't worry until something sour turns my way.
Everything else outside of actual experience (or an answer from Pete) is speculation.

:puffy:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hmmm, I am going to track down some of this new PPP, I am still working on my original stash. When it first came out I stocked up on like fifty tins or so. 3P's is what brought me back into the VA's and what not.

Dec 24, 2012
Actually Per did not say that MacBaren did not produce any Peterson tobaccos, only that they did not produce IF or UF. I have heard rumours elsewhere that they are producing some of the blends, but not all.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Orlik always made the Peterson Flakes, K&K just distributed them. So it looks like the other Peterson blends went to Mac Baren with maybe the exception of Hyde Park, which I learned today (Thanks Huub) is made by Gawith and Hoggarth.
Fortunately, University Flake, though cut differently, is still excellent.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Smoking pipes is now selling Peterson blends in 16oz bags.

These look very much like the macbaren 16oz bags.
-Tim

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
The new Rattray's including Stirling Flake, are listed at P&C, but 'backordered'. Sounds like that are clearing the shelves to be able to stock the new stuff when it arrives.
hp

les

May 31, 2012
new manufacturer for Peterson tobaccos

For more than 15 years, the renowned tobacco manufacturer Kohlhase & Kopp had produced the tobaccos for Peterson.

This triumphant cooperation now was canceled by Peterson. In the future, Peterson tobaccos are blended from the no less renowned manufacturer Arnold Andre . However, the project does have a drawback..

The recipes developed in the many years remained with Kohlhase & Kopp. It will therefore be inevitable that will come it to a change of the composition and in the taste..

However. the numerous friends of the exquisite Peterson tobaccos don't need to give not up her accustomed and loved tobacco pleasure, .

On the one hand we have our stock richly filled with original Peterson tobaccos, on the other hand the most popular Peterson tobaccos are still produced by using the original recipe by Kohlhase + Kopp and are sold under the brand name Rattray 's.
http://www.annonces.de/Shop/cgi-bin/his-webshop.cgi?c=Peterson&dif=6&f=HERSTELLER&start=1&f1=GRUPPEa&c1=pipe_tobacco&t=temsearch_artikel_en&sort=NAME
Confusing?

Yes.
I believe that Arnold André is not the blender, but only the new distro in Germany since K&K no longer is.
I did read elsewhere that Mac Baren bought the rights to the Peterson tobacco brand though,

weird.

:?:
My PPP tastes the same so far,

so no complaints from me.
Orlik always made the Peterson Flakes, K&K just distributed them.

Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.