PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just opened a new tin of Irish Flake. I wasn't aware of this issue until I opened the tin and fired up a bowl. It definitely smells and tastes different from what I've smoked in the last 3 years or so. To me, it just isn't as dark and plummy and the dark fired seems to be scaled way back. It's still good and stout, but milder by half in my opinion.
EDIT: I'm halfway down the bowl or so and I love this stuff. So smooth and mild, but full flavored with good nic. It's not the Irish Flake I used to know, but it's good stuff. If the intensely dark smokey Irish Flake of old is gone, I'll miss it. Anyone else opened a new tin of IF lately?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Anyone else opened a new tin of IF lately?
I'm about half way through a tin I picked up in Phoenix in July. It's the squarish shaped tin rather than the elongated one. As I haven't smoked any ather versión of IF, all I can say is it's one of the best tasting tobaccos I've ever tried. The Nic's a bit much for me, but the flavor is just to good to resist.
I've also found it burns very evenly and right down to a fine grayish ash with zero dottle or hot bitter taste; delicious from light to finish!
I always rub it out, let it air. then smoke it in my Peterson Sterling Silver 80s Bent Bulldog.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Same here, Dot. Burned cool and mellow to the end. Looking forward to the next bowl of this stuff.

May 31, 2012
Just opened a new tin of Irish Flake. I wasn't aware of this issue until I opened the tin and fired up a bowl. It definitely smells and tastes different from what I've smoked in the last 3 years or so. To me, it just isn't as dark and plummy and the dark fired seems to be scaled way back. It's still good and stout, but milder by half in my opinion.
Thanks for the update.
I still ain't opened up a new tin, I need to check one out,

but all-in-all, your review makes it sound good, even if it is a bit different.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I enjoy all of the great forum posts here and am chiming in with my first post. There has been much in the way of speculation in various pipe smokers forums as to who now is the blender of Peterson's Irish Flake. Apparently, it is no longer being produced by K&H (the flakes having been pressed by Orlik). Many have stated that Mac Barens produces it now. According to Mac, they are only producing Peterson's non-flake baccys (Hyde Park still by G&H, however). I would say that even though the appearance and tin note is what I remember from my first tins of IrF (2009/2010), I do notice a difference. That difference being in what back of the throat harshness I noticed with the earlier tins is now gone; which is a good thing. I still find IrF to be one fine tobacco. It is still my number one favorite; my desert island smoke, my all day, every day smoke. Although I smoke my other favs on a regular basis, it is a rare day that I don't smoke IrF. I'm up at 6:30am most days and am smoking a bowl by 7am. I wouldn't say that the "newer" incarnatnation has been "dumbed down" or cheapened in any way. I look at it as having been refined. Still great tasting and with a fantastic room note, it is still a big winner in my book. Anxious to try K&H's Stirling Flake which has been said to be the same as IrF. Once I do, I will review that one.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Here's hoping that they iron out the kinks over time. It seems to me the "new" Dunhills improved a lot in the first couple years they were out.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Well. I have since smoked a few more tins that were actually dated ( by me ) when I actually purchased them. It seems the newer ( 2013 acquired ) has less of a topping than the stuff I smoked before ( a bad thing in my book ) . I've now to get a "fresh" tin ( recent shipment ) and do some more comparing. Back in June I cracked open an older, 2006-dated, "sardine can" of IF and the topping had NOT subsided at all. The flakes were skinnier than the new stuff.

I've yet to try the Rattray's equivalent. Will try to keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.