PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Only enough to see a faint wisp, and only after 4 or 5 breaths of continuous drawing.
Only after 4 or 5 breaths do you actually blow smoke out of opened mouth, right ? But in between, you ARE breathing out through the stem, no ? My understanding was to be breathing in through the nose, followed by a slight breath in through the closed mouth. Then exhale lightly through stem (again with mouth closed) followed by or together with full exhale through the nose. Then every three or four cycles actually open mouth and puff out smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only after 4 or 5 breaths do you actually blow smoke out of opened mouth, right ?
I exhale it out of my nose unless talking.

ARE breathing out through the stem
No, only using an ebb and flow of the vacuum and air pressure I'm my mouth as you would fluid through a straw.
My breath never draws nor pushes the smoke until retrohaling.

Reactions: didimauw and TN Jed

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
The problem with Muttonchop's video, to me, is that he's pushing smoke out through the pipe with far too much regularity. When I smoke, I guess you could call it breath smoking, but basically I'm just keeping the pipe in my mouth and breathing through my nose, while slowly pulling through the stem of the pipe. Every three or four breaths I will either push a tiny amount of smoke back out the pipe, or retrohale.

I don't know how you can push smoke out with every breath and not overheat.
That’s EXACTLY what I thought. He claims only drawing in overheats the bowl, and that pushing smoke back out the pipe actually COOLS the pipe. I’m not sure that’s correct. Even he says it “sort of cools the pipe.” He also doesn’t make it clear whether the “mouthwash” technique of using your mouth to draw in/out on stem should be synchronized with your nose breathing. Or just in general whether it is up to each individual to decide how/whether to let mouth and nose work independently.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
The problem with Muttonchop's video, to me, is that he's pushing smoke out through the pipe with far too much regularity. When I smoke, I guess you could call it breath smoking, but basically I'm just keeping the pipe in my mouth and breathing through my nose, while slowly pulling through the stem of the pipe. Every three or four breaths I will either push a tiny amount of smoke back out the pipe, or retrohale.

If you are pulling smoke through the stem every breath, but only releasing smoke every 3 or 4 breaths, where is all that smoke going before you release it ? Isn’t your mouth just holding a bunch of smoke for a long time ?

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Only after 4 or 5 breaths do you actually blow smoke out of opened mouth, right ? But in between, you ARE breathing out through the stem, no ? My understanding was to be breathing in through the nose, followed by a slight breath in through the closed mouth. Then exhale lightly through stem (again with mouth closed) followed by or together with full exhale through the nose. Then every three or four cycles actually open mouth and puff out smoke.
THAT’S EXACTLY what my understanding was. If you are not exhaling through the stem with each breath, you are going to be building up an awful lot of smoke. Muttnchop may make a mistake in one of his videos, but he suggests NOT breathing out through mouth/stem only as a way to reignite ember (that is, to only breathe in for a few breaths). Again, I don’t see how you can do that without releasing smoke somewhere. I think he meant to say breathe in AND out. But if you simply want to cool the pipe, only breathe OUT. THAT is possible, since you are taking air in through your nose and can then simply blow it out through the stem only or better in conjunction with breathing out through your nose. I guess all of this is an individual thing.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
THAT’S EXACTLY what my understanding was. If you are not exhaling through the stem with each breath, you are going to be building up an awful lot of smoke. Muttnchop may make a mistake in one of his videos, but he suggests NOT breathing out through mouth/stem only as a way to reignite ember (that is, to only breathe in for a few breaths). Again, I don’t see how you can do that without releasing smoke somewhere. I think he meant to say breathe in AND out. But if you simply want to cool the pipe, only breathe OUT. THAT is possible, since you are taking air in through your nose and can then simply blow it out through the stem only or better in conjunction with breathing out through your nose. I guess all of this is an individual thing.

You don’t say when you are actually blowing smoke out into the air. If every 3 or 4 breaths you are pushing smoke back out the pipe OR retrohaling, when are you actually blowing smoke out of your mouth, which is the most basic aspect of pipe smoking I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.