PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I don't think youtube mentorship is where people take issue. It's that young smokers want/need someone to hold their hand through even the most mundane, self-explanatory tasks. "what's the best way to light a match?" "do you guys walk at the same time as smoking a pipe?" "When you open a tin, do you put the pull tab at 12 o'clock or at 6?" and what ultimately happens with this helpless and dependent pedantry is a void of their own exploration and building their own experiences and mythos.

This was years ago, but I read a few articles on young workers and employees. What drove the upper teams nuts wasn't that they couldn't get young people to work. Actually, they said they were very hard workers. The problem was that when they were finished with their work, they couldn't navigate working on their own. And it wasn't because they were lazy and finding a way to avoid working. It was that they couldn't function and improvise into the next task or estimate what they should do next. They need to be constantly told what to do, for they couldn't figure that out on their own. It was like a computer hit the end of the program, and it sat there with the cursor blinking until instructed what to do next.
Unfortunately the computer and social media have led to the atrophy of many human skills. But the genie is out of the bottle. No way to turn back time. I believe at some point in the future there will have to be an assessment and as part of education they will have to teach the old skills again: like information literacy and human communication face to face. The internet and computers have great potential as tools. But like a fine saw or hammer, one has to know how to use it. YouTube is terrific as a teaching tool, with the ability to show processes step by step. But so many things have gone too far. I’m an audiophile, and reviews of speakers where the person just sits in front of the camera and describes what he/she heard are just silly. I’d rather read an old fashioned print review. Unless they are going to demo the equipment, I’m not interested. Maybe tobacco reviews where the person describes in real time while smoking have SOME benefits.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Unfortunately the computer and social media have led to the atrophy of many human skills. But the genie is out of the bottle. No way to turn back time. I believe at some point in the future there will have to be an assessment and as part of education they will have to teach the old skills again: like information literacy and human communication face to face. The internet and computers have great potential as tools. But like a fine saw or hammer, one has to know how to use it. YouTube is terrific as a teaching tool, with the ability to show processes step by step. But so many things have gone too far. I’m an audiophile, and reviews of speakers where the person just sits in front of the camera and describes what he/she heard are just silly. I’d rather read an old fashioned print review. Unless they are going to demo the equipment, I’m not interested. Maybe tobacco reviews where the person describes in real time while smoking have SOME benefits.
I watch some stereo-centered reddits, and the questions are puzzling. "I have three sets of speakers. X, Y, and Z. Which one sounds the best? Which one would you keep? I want to sell two of them." Uh...mmm...which one do you like the best? It seems like they even want you to hold their hand through their own ears and experience. They can't even decide which one they like. Not only is it difficult to not be snarky, but they're so self-explanatory that they almost cause the reader a brain fart. You read the questions and don't even know how to answer them.

Reactions: jpberg and yanoJL

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I don't think youtube mentorship is where people take issue. It's that young smokers want/need someone to hold their hand through even the most mundane, self-explanatory tasks.
Does smoking a pipe (well) fit the description of "self-explanatory"? Cigar smoking does. I would suggest that the great disparity (in popularity) between the two hobbies is, at least in some part, due to the fact that pipe smoking isn't self-explanatory. That aside, I'm not sure it's even about hand holding, as much as it is wanting to consume as much information as possible about a new hobby and creating a sense of community.

Reactions: rsshreck32

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Does smoking a pipe (well) fit the description of "self-explanatory"? Cigar smoking does. I would suggest that the great disparity (in popularity) between the two hobbies is, at least in some part, due to the fact that pipe smoking isn't self-explanatory. That aside, I'm not sure it's even about hand holding, as much as it is wanting to consume as much information as possible about a new hobby and creating a sense of community.
I hear what you're saying, but I also know that prior to this era, people weren't being taught how to smoke, yet the act launched many people who became life-long pipe smokers who obviously built their knowledge and enjoyed the pastime in spite of that lack of hand holding, ie the handholding isn't necessary. I don't know how much my inception into piping represents others, but I consider my mentor, and side-mentors, to be very good...well, mentors. They told me some things about tobacco. Some other things about pipes. Other things about the history and paraphernalia. Other than very crude instructions like, "Ya use this nail to smoosh down the tobacco after you light it," that was about it. We weren't waxing poetic about matches, lighter fluid, or butane. We weren't taking about much of the process at all. It's like telling someone what underwear they find comfortable and how to put them on properly. That falls under, "that's your business." And I spent a considerable amount of time in my tobacconist (taking about everything but how to smoke a pipe) and then ended up managing a tobacco shop. I was around pipe smokers quite a bit, and without exaggeration, I could probably count on one hand how many times we talked about the pipe smoking process. That would include new smokers too. They bought their first pipe, their first pouch of tobacco, and a pipe nail (I did recommend that to them), and they worked through it all on their own. To be candid, I talked with far, far more cigar smokers about lighting and clipping than I did pipe smokers. It still wasn't a common thing even with the cigar smokers.

I appreciate knowledge and the gathering of knowledge. I just find the public questioning rather than exploring on your own to be odd. It's definitely a sign of the social media times. I acknowledge that, but I still find it pretty weird.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I'm not a "young" pipe smoker at 41. However, I just started smoking a pipe in Nov. 2022. Honestly, without online resources I would have had no idea where to begin. Tongue bite, buying cheap Aromatics, not knowing what a good pipe is, packing techniques--these are not things that most of us would ever figure out. I chewed Copenhagen for many years, that is tobacco use that requires no explanation. However others want to view it, pipe smoking is a craft. It is an art. There is skill involved and there is a general adoration for nice pipes and good tobacco that is intrinsic to smoking a pipe. For me, I love advice from seasoned pipe smokers and I'll take as much as I can get while enjoying there old codger stories along the way!
And in my small, rural community, there are almost no pipe smokers. In fact, I do not personally know one other pipe smoker in my hometown. The online pipe community helps me to connect with others who enjoy the blessing of a quality pipe filled with a good tobacco.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I appreciate knowledge and the gathering of knowledge. I just find the public questioning rather than exploring on your own to be odd. It's definitely a sign of the social media times. I acknowledge that, but I still find it pretty weird.
That's all fair. And I totally agree; people once needed to be more self-sufficient than they do now. And you're certainly not wrong; all of this is a product of its time. I just sense a certain, "old man yells at cloud" vibe, whenever the topic of YouTube & pipe smoking comes up. Which by the way, is not directed at you. And bear in mind, I'm days away from being 55, so I'm not exactly Gen Z.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Honestly, without online resources I would have had no idea where to begin. Tongue bite, buying cheap Aromatics, not knowing what a good pipe is, packing techniques--these are not things that most of us would ever figure out.
Just not true. There are countless pipers who launched their hobby careers with pipes and tobacco out of the local pharmacy aisle, grocery store section, or farm supply rack...all on their own. You too would have figured it all out on your own...or you wouldn't have. Smoking a substance didn't come online when the internet began.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Starting prior to the internet and knowing no other pipe smokers in the 90s, I just bought a pipe, some tobacco, and it worked itself out.
As I'm sure it would have for me also but with a lot more time and that would be ok. I'm not speaking about Muttonchops or his breath method as I haven't watched very many of his videos. I am referring more to being exposed to quality stuff, both pipes and tobacco. When I first ordered a pipe and tobacco, I ordered from tobaccopipes.com. I'm not sure where I would have found a pipe for sale anywhere around me lol!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
.... The online pipe community helps me to connect with others who enjoy the blessing of a quality pipe filled with a good tobacco.
Same.
I don't not know any other pipe hobbyists IRL.
And so I watched a lot of Muttnchop, and Bremen Pipe Smoker, and a few others, just to hear people talk about the hobby. And, yes, I learned along the way; things that trial and error alone can not teach. Like vocabulary and terms, for example. The first time I heard the term VaPer, I actually thought of Vapor/Vaping. And then Muttnchop explained it. Ooohhhhhh!

The guy is like the pipe smoking uncle/mentor I never had. And so are many of the generous and helpful members of this forum.

To have someone out there, publicly and openly sharing the enjoyment of pipes and tobacco, is a good thing; worthy of gratitude, not scorn. He's an ambassador to our hobby.
He's on our team.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
To be fair mutton did say he was exaggerating his smoking so you would have something to see. I found it helpful because a lot of people on the net describe it in ways that completely make no sense. Face it. Some people can’t express themselves.

Im trying it today. It’s interesting but I miss retro inhalation. Of course you can mix it up.

Im looking for a way to reduce larynx and throat irritation. Seems if I smoke more than one bowl its bothered. Not that smoking more is healthy but sometimes I want to.

I found his video helpful and now I can take it from there. If people’s writing was more accurate it wouldn’t be needed. I don’t feel a need to criticize instructional videos any more than forums. Its just a way to share ideas. I have no idea if I will use the technique much but at least now know what it is.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I originally thought the Breathe Method was largely intended to help create a cadence that would keep the pipe cool. But after using it for a couple of months I’m wondering: doesn’t breathing through the stem and keeping the bowl lit also run the risk of overheating the pipe ? Aren’t the breaths equivalent to puffs ? Or is the idea to make sure your breaths through the stem are very slight ? I’m asking because I find that even small breaths on a regular “breathing basis” are heating up my bowl to the point where I have to put it down to cool. Amy feedback much appreciated !

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I meant “Any” not “Amy”, but Amy can answer it as well.

Also, sometimes I find the breaths through the stem are shooting up embers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I originally thought the Breathe Method was largely intended to help create a cadence that would keep the pipe cool. But after using it for a couple of months I’m wondering: doesn’t breathing through the stem and keeping the bowl lit also run the risk of overheating the pipe ? Aren’t the breaths equivalent to puffs ? Or is the idea to make sure your breaths through the stem are very slight ? I’m asking because I find that even small breaths on a regular “breathing basis” are heating up my bowl to the point where I have to put it down to cool. Amy feedback much appreciated !
You use breathing as a metronome and only use enough force to coax the smoke out of and into the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.