Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Chemex is my go to on weekends, especially for lighter roasts. I'd do it on weekday mornings if I could preset the kettle to heat on a timer.
I have a Bonavita kettle, and it heats quickly, especially when filled with hot tap water (we have really good well water). Get the water going first, and while you are preheating the equipment and grinding beans, the water coming up to temp.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I have a Bonavita kettle, and it heats quickly, especially when filled with hot tap water (we have really good well water). Get the water going first, and while you are preheating the equipment and grinding beans, the water coming up to temp.
We've got a Fellow and a Bonavita on the way (like pipe tobacco, my coffee buddies can convince me of just about anything). They do heat quick. When my wife wakes before me, she does the Chemex or French press.
I usually set the Breville the night before so it's ready when I wake since im usually up before everybody. But I do prefer using the kettle and hope to make habit of it, which is ironic because I've been trying to cut back on my coffee intake.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We've got a Fellow and a Bonavita on the way (like pipe tobacco, my coffee buddies can convince me of just about anything). They do heat quick. When my wife wakes before me, she does the Chemex or French press.
I usually set the Breville the night before so it's ready when I wake since im usually up before everybody. But I do prefer using the kettle and hope to make habit of it, which is ironic because I've been trying to cut back on my coffee intake.
I have one mug of very rich coffee in the morning. That’s it. And it’s decaf. Still a lot of caffeine, though, no matter what they claim!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dear Lord that’s complicated!
I’ve been using a ceramic Melitta funnel for decades. I heat water to 203 f, measure out the coffee, pop the paper filter in and pour.

Heat, plastic and food isn’t a healthy combo.
Actually that is a very valid point. All sorts of nasties in plastic, moreso once heated.

Also, I do wonder how many hot/cold cycles it can go through before it fails.

Regards,

Jay.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Right after this thread appeared I got a long detailed article in my news feed comparing and contrasting the various gadgets on the market with reviews by various coffee aficionados.
The bottom line seems to be that a Melitta and skills beats all of it.
I've wanted to try Melitta but have been content enough with my V60 and Chemex. Whether it's one cup, or 8 cups for friends and family, these two methods are consistent and flawless (with the right method in place). Cheap, easy, little prep time. Just can't beat em. Although an occasional French press or Moka pot for darker roasts is nice.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Conceptually, the AeroPress is fine—I have a friend that uses one and he he enjoys it, but I don’t like the idea of exerting pressure on my coffee mugs, especially sentimental ones. My first preference for coffee making is a French Press—I enjoy the particulates in the coffee because they give a fuller mouth feel. If I want to highlight the bright notes in a blend, I like using a Vacuum Pot. For nostalgia, I enjoy a two part metal percolator; I also like using a Chemex when the mood strikes.