Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I was at a new buddies house today. He's a touring musician who is a coffee roaster when he's not on the road. He knows my normal routine for coffee, as it's very similar to his - a Fellow Kettle into a ChemEx pour over. On weekends I do a French press with bolder blends.
Well today he was giving me some merch and told me to take an AeroPress with me. I've seen these mentioned here before, and he really believes in them (though it's not his daily choice to brew).

What are your thoughts on the Aeropress? Has anybody tried cold brew from it, espresso? Is it just another gadget?
I'm interested to start experimenting with it tonight and was curious of others experiences with it. 20230630_180612.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not a gimmick. Used one for years.

I forget the name of the gizmo that you can buy that assists in making espresso in one.

I scrapped all that though. I use a Clever Dripper now. It makes 16 ounces of coffee super easy.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
To me the real shining strength of the aeropress is getting a decent cup while camping/traveling/road-tripping. Many a time, we've used the Commadante C40 to grind, then just grabbed some how water from McDonalds to do a reverse press. This works well when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
To me the real shining strength of the aeropress is getting a decent cup while camping/traveling/road-tripping. Many a time, we've used the Commadante C40 to grind, then just grabbed some how water from McDonalds to do a reverse press. This works well when you're in the middle of nowhere.
This seems to be one of the common selling points for these.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've heard of this Aeropress gizmo before but never actually looked into it so therefore have no clue as to how it works.

That was until I read this post....then watched a couple of Youtube clips...and now my finger is hovering over the 'Buy It Now' button on Amazon (£35 inc p+p).

Are they really that good?

Regards,

Jay.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
After 4 cups so far, each with a different bean, I will say there is a learning curve. Many people use this gadget differently and I've tried 2 different methods.
For those who know of James Hoffmann, I've used his method 2 out of 4 times with the best results.

Does it beat my Chemex or even V60 for a single cup? I'm not convinced yet. Is it good though? Its surprisingly really good. I've managed to get a great cup with this finally. I think more than anything, it's easy and the cleanup is quick and convenient. I see myself using this mostly when I want a late night, single cup of coffee. I don't see myself using it for my morning cups or when I'm making coffee for 2 people.

All around, it's a cool gadget that I think is great to add to any coffee lovers cabinet of methods for brewing. I'm also thinking it will only improve with time as I play around with grind size and water temperature. Glad I received one

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm all for pressing the buy it now button but am a tad worried reading some Amazon reviews saying that the gadget has gone down in quality since the original company was taken over and apparently some of the components are no longer included in the package.

My interest is purely practical. I have a wonderful De'Longhi espresso machine but don't use it as there is so much to clean after every brew so the ease of just rinsing the Aeropress appeals to me.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Not a gimmick. Used one for years.

I forget the name of the gizmo that you can buy that assists in making espresso in one.

I scrapped all that though. I use a Clever Dripper now. It makes 16 ounces of coffee super easy.

Dear Lord that’s complicated!
I’ve been using a ceramic Melitta funnel for decades. I heat water to 203 f, measure out the coffee, pop the paper filter in and pour.

Heat, plastic and food isn’t a healthy combo.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dear Lord that’s complicated!
I’ve been using a ceramic Melitta funnel for decades. I heat water to 203 f, measure out the coffee, pop the paper filter in and pour.

Heat, plastic and food isn’t a healthy combo.
I do a lot of things that aren’t healthy. Plastic is the least of my concerns.

I fell at a fire scene a bit ago. I fractured my wrist, cut my arm, had a nail go through my hand and was partially (miraculously) impaled.

Seriously, plastic doesn’t even chart.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The Aeropress is a good way to make coffee. It is easy to use and easy to clean. I have a Ninja drip machine that gets the most use followed by a Bodum pour over.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Crushed a glass cup when squeezing this thingy, just by the pure luck avoided arterial bleeding and severing hands at wrist joints.
Tossed it and returned to my tried-and-true Cafetière aka French Press.
Go home aeropress, you're drunk.

Be careful with this gizmo ⚠️
It may be sturdy enough but your old well beaten cup may not.

Reactions: renfield
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm all for pressing the buy it now button but am a tad worried reading some Amazon reviews saying that the gadget has gone down in quality since the original company was taken over and apparently some of the components are no longer included in the package.

My interest is purely practical. I have a wonderful De'Longhi espresso machine but don't use it as there is so much to clean after every brew so the ease of just rinsing the Aeropress appeals to me.

Regards,

Jay.
I wonder if he gave me an older box, pre-buyout. It came with a bag and all sorts of stuff that goes with it.

Reactions: mawnansmiff