Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, a fellow Brairy-er, ha ha. Plus Skip just isn't set up for estates. How can anyone, when a customer can deal directly with sellers on ebay. But, not everyone wants to buy dirty used pipes. As for bulk tobaccos, again, Laudsi (aka smokingpipes.com) and the other online distributors are the wholesale. The Briary cannot buy those for any cheaper than we can online, no retail can, therefore they cannot keystone those prices and make enough money to keep the doors open. So, the best thing for places like that to do is just offer things that they can keystone and find the niche.
Artisan pipes and High-end is what keeps the Briary open. His business model is unlike any other pipeshop that I've ever heard about, and it works. Sure, there are some things there that anyone can afford, and he offers a few bulk blends, and a wall of tins, but where he has found a niche in keeping the door open is years of building relationships with pipemakers and distributors. There have been so many times when I have walked in and met some pipemaker that I see their work all over the internet. And, other times I can walk in and meet someone who seriously collects some unusual genre in the pipe market or other. I've never heard of another pipe shop that was more like a high-end art gallery than his place. Except a laid back gallery of pipes, where you can smoke and hang out.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Totally agree and understand!!! It's a GREAT shop and wish I could spend lots of cash there. Were you around in the Brookwood mall days?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Unfortunatley, I dont have a local B&M. Closest would be Springfield MO, which is a 2-hour drive. The last time I tried calling The Tobacco Store in Fayetteville AR, it was disconnected, and it was the only number that I could find online. Not sure if the number changed or if they went under.
So, for me, it's all about ordering online. I will even cater to the B&Ms that have an online presence.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I love my B&M its a family run place since 1970. The people are the warmest you'll meet the guy Jon David that manages it is both friendly and very knowledgeable, he blends all the house blends for them and does a fantastic job. The best part is that they will order you a pipe or tobacco you want and have them there at the store to pick up. So like when I wanted a Bing's Favorite pipe I just told Jon David he quoted me a price. Could I have gotten it cheaper by a few buck somewhere else sure, but it gave me an excuse to go in and shoot the breeze.
Support your local small business no matter what they are.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
I do not like my local B&M as they really don't cater to pipe smokers. Also, local taxes are terrible.
I do all of my shopping online, and see no reason to change.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Just bought a Peterson "Dracula" at my local B&M. They had a Peterson show and a rep will be there Saturday. While most of the guys prefer cigars, the shop owner does know a lot about pipes and I try to support him as much as I can. They don't have all the tobaccos I like and for that I go online. But, to the local shops credit, he did recommend a McClelland that has become my "go to" blend. I love "Stave -Aged Virginia 35 Ribbon" and he is the one that suggested it. It's fun sitting down, chatting the guys and watching tv with the guys. I hope they are around for a long time.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I buy online very rarely, usually something that I just can't find locally..otherwise I frequent up in smoke in north Dallas.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Well, if you're crazy and old fashioned then count me in. I'm fortunate to be within driving distance, 2 hours, of Boswell's and there is a B&M in State College that although it is primarily a cigar shop, it does have a limited selection of pipe tobacco and pipes. Even some local supermarkets carry CH and other codger blends.I try to support local independent businesses be they car dealers, coffees shops, or sporting goods. Always figured that since my income comes from local folks I should keep my money local. I know not everyone has the options I do but as long as I do I'll use them.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
If I find a local shop that carries, or would bring in pipe tobacco then I will support them 100% but like others here we don't have a B&M that carry pipe stuff other then glass ones not used for tobacco.

Oct 12, 2014
Support my local B&M??
Hmm..I dont want cigarettes, dope pipes, might buy a cigar occasionally and there is only so much Prince Albert I need.
and that is why I love internet dealers...without them I'd have nothing.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I'm lucky. I have a very nice B&M just a couple of miles from my house.
They are about 1/4 pipe, 1/4 cigar, and 1/2 smoking lounge. They have a great group of people (whipper snappers, old codgers, and everything in between).
Sitting in the lounge enjoying a smoke is pretty much like hanging out in the forums here with much less typing.
Pumping dollars back into the local economy is almost like just a bonus.
I wish everyone had the chance to have that experience.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I feel very fortunate to have a good number of tobacconist shops in the Akron/Cleveland area. My wish for every pipe smoker would be a comfortable, friendly place to shop, shoot the breeze and enjoy the company of other like minded individuals. I does cost more to buy from a shop but, in this pipesmoker's opinion, it is well worth the cost.
Mike S.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I am lucky to have a great pipe shop very close. Bill orders anything I want and stocks my regular purchases. They will even bring it to my house if over $100 purchase. I understand if your state tax is outrageous, or if they treat pipers as second class citizens, why you wouldn't shop there. I shop locally and buy American as much as possible. If we don't, nobody will have a decent job. We are on the verge of having a service based economy.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I am checking out a B&M in my area that I have never been to before. It now makes the 3rd shop that I know of that has pipe tobacco and pipes. I really Love my usual spot, but am hoping to increase my local network checking out the other one. I am told they have a group of regulars there so I am excited to be heading there after work.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
Ok, so I went to the new place. It was a nice shop but the lady that was working this evening didn't know anything about the pipe tobaccos. The place was packed with guys smoking cigars. I bought a couple of sticks and an oz of a blend called Southern Simple. She couldn't tell me anything about it so I guess we will find out tomorrow. HAHA! Then I went to my usual B&M The now have Peterson's Irish Oak in bulk. So needless to say I'm going to be puffin' away this weekend.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
Irish oak is the new one there i believe there are 4 others but don't remember which ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.