"Strike anywhere" matches disappearing in your area too?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I grew up in Texas, but seceded always able to get them at the camping/boy scout supply store we went to. Saw em the other day therevas well.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I think we have them in San Jose?

I accidently bought 2 "strike on box" only boxes...which I'd rather have the Strike anywhere

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I haven't seen them for sale at a normal store in a long time, but I always stock up when I go to the gun shows. They always sell them, but not the kitchen size.

ps27

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
We still have strike anywhere matches here in Georgia, but I was never able to strike them any where. I noticed in Kroger yesterday that they now have the "green" strike anywhere matches. That the match wood is from a sustainable forest is the only "green" quality I see other than the new green logo and the green match head. M-i-c-k-e-y M-a-r-k-a-t-e-e-r.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Sorry guys, but I find it highly amusing that in a country where firearms are so easily available to any 10 year old that they should ban strike it anywhere matches for what I can only imagine is for safety reasons.
Is it me or just my English sense of humour???

my19

Lurker
Apr 29, 2011
I wonder whether it's market driven rather than a 'safety' issue. Can't find any kitchen matches at Walmart, Kroger, those kinds of places. But you can always find one of those wand-like lighters to fire up the barbecue or the fireplace or light the birthday candles. For the average (non-pipe smoking) family, those work just fine. And that's bad news for the rest of us.

my19

Lurker
Apr 29, 2011
A quick update. Stopped at an old-time hardware store this morning on the way to work and asked if they had kitchen matches. You bet. Picked up a 10-box pack of the small wooden strike-anywhere matches and a 250-match box of the bigger kitchen matches. Less than $3 for both. This was Turner Hardware in Farmers Branch for DFW pipers.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I live in S.E. Florida, and all I can find are strike on box matches also.....no more strike anywhere matches.

I thought that the store I was in just didn't have any at the time, but now that you are saying the same thing.

I guess they have now been outlawed in Florida.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I know I can find the survival matches but I will definitely look for the strike anywhere matches. I hope Tennessee hasn't joined this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.