Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
For me it would be S.G. Squadron Leader. :oops: .
The after taste is very odd. Just couldn't stick with it.
I understand that one! It is a cigarette tobacco in the EU, I find it does really have that cigarette taste to it, a little more harsh and weird than I like!
However for my #1 most wierd, crazy, never smoke again for all the money in the world blend, has to be Altidas Sutliff's Private Stock The Great Outdoors, holy shit does that smell like anise + all the chemicals required to build a chemical bomb, and boy does it smoke like a chemical bomb, artificial chemicals enough to choke even the most experienced aromatic smoker! Now, all their blends do smell very chemical however I was given many tins of their Molto Dulce, and I have to say that is really nice stuff, still has the chemical smell out of the tin, but it tastes really good and never bites. I love discovering that characteristic that all brands seem to have with their blends. IE: Aldidas: Chemical Smell, Dunhill: One note wonder, MacBarren: "The MacBarren Bite." Samuel Gawith: Wet as hell but worth it in the end... They are all quite interesting.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
GLP Sextant, which isn't even that odd in the grand scheme of things. I don't really venture too far beyond the lines when it comes to pipes and tobacco.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@Pete, I mostly get that anise + chemical taste from GO, those two combined just make it super nasty. I have yet to find another pipe smoker who agrees with me though...

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Would be James Fox's Aromatic blend. Tasted like a rum and coke with a shot of cherry syrup but smelled like sweet vinegar. Very odd stuff.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
LOL I think the actual James Fox store in Dublin and maybe the one in London are the only places you can get it. It is something in itself really. I got a 25g loose bag to try and might try getting a 50g tin. Not sure yet if I like it. You tried many of their other blends?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
About a year ago I got a pouch of Celtic with my first pipe, I can't remember enough to describe it but I think I liked it fairly well. Provost, which might be my favourite tobacco. Squires, which I mentioned above as my 'strangest blend', but I think I have to smoke more before I come to a reasonable opinion on it.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
I will have to try a few more Fox blends. I tried Hibernia, thought it tasted like bananas a little and made me feel ill but my friends thought it was chocolaty and loved it. Tastes differ a hell of a lot with tobacco it seems.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
C&D milk and honey. I got a sample and it was really good but then ordered s half pound and it doesn't have as much honey flavour, I think maybe it's a different batch with not enough topping. They say it's an aro for people who don't like aro's but to me it isn't an aro at all

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not trying to be crass or disrespectful of others' sensibilities,

but I think Low Country Waccamaw tastes like it has some pee in it

-- not that I actually know what pee tastes like. :lol:

With bright and red Va, Perique, and a dash of Izmir, it sounds really yummy. I thought it was horrid.

Now, Low Country's Santee, a fruity, Virginia based aromatic (apple), is wonderful. One of the few aromatics I really like.
Wanna try a really strange aromatic? Try Sillem's Red.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Strangest? So far, it's been Black Currant Cavendish. It had apple in it. Boy, was the apple strong! Weirdest experience. Very pleasant, but weird.
Smokey Tay :puffy:

Sutliff's Great Outdoors to me tastes like someone took some perfectly good tobacco and added stuff to it to make it taste like artificial tobacco. It coats my mouth and sinuses and leaves me licking the floor to get some relief for my tongue.

When I got it, I was looking forward to the anise flavor, which is one of my favorites, but there is something else about this mix that masks the anise and makes it taste sort of like a tobacco flavor.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Yes, Eric, and cosmicfolklore, I agree with you on the Great Outdoors. I thought it smelled/tasted like rootbeer mixed with harsh chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.