PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
This has been entertaining, thanks all!
I think I like Germain even more than previously.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Q: Will all tobaccos improve with age?
A: Generally, any tobacco with plenty of natural sugars will age wonderfully. Virginia is always a prime candidate, but so are blends with lots or Oriental leaf. Though Oriental varieties don't have as much sugar as Virginias, they do contain enough to go through fermentation in the tin, and will improve over time, developing increasing complexity and a wine-like quality that is hard to describe.
Q: Isn't "fresh" tobacco better?
A: Unless you go to a plantation, or grow your own, you'll never see "fresh" tobacco. By the time it gets into the hands of the blender, it's been cured, sweated, fermented, and allowed to "settle down." Once it's blended, the finished product is allowed to meld for a time before it's put into the tins. Then, the real magic of the aging process begins. While a well conceived blend will be delicious almost immediately after blending, time in the tin will make a noticeable change, adding complexity and smoothing out any rough edges.
Q: How soon is blend "right" for proper smoking?
A: This is dependent upon several factors, including the blend itself, tobacco processing methods, storage conditions and personal taste. While certainly not at its best, a well balanced blend with good structure will smoke very well shortly after it's blended, and certainily by the time the consumer gets it. If it's not good when it's young, it may improve over time, but it will never likely become great. Tobacos that are pressed as part of their processing, of course, have an edge on those that are blended as previously cut ribbons, because the tobaccos have been given an opportunity to get to know one another more intimately. That was part of the motivation behind the Old London Series, and I'm really thrilled with the results.
But, after a couple months in the tin, even with ribbon-blended tobaccos, the various components will "marry," will integrate into a more cohesive whole, rather than present themselves as individual aspects of the blend. Within one to five years, the tobacco will really begin to shine. Beyond this time frame, the changes are much more gradual. While the blend may continue to improve for years, even decades, the changes will not be as dramatic as they are in the first few years. Some people enjoy the exuberance of some blends in their youth, while others prefer the more mature complexity of tobaccos that have been aged for long periods. I recommend experimenting to see what suits you best with each blend or style.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Some people enjoy the exuberance of some blends in their youth, while others prefer the more mature complexity of tobaccos that have been aged for long periods.
This line leads me to believe, that tobacco blenders "design" their blends for SELLING, so... when they are smoked, is of little concern.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Why in such a rush to close it? People do that too quickly here. If the thread bothers you then stop reading it.
This is true in so much more than just this forum. Nowadays people who don't like something another person is doing are in a big hurry to stop, ban or otherwise eliminate this behaviour at all cost instead of just removing themselves from the "offending" situation. Often times these same people are the one trying to stuff their own ideals down your throat. Just my .02.
Please note comment not directed at jiujitsubowl. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Peck, it seems like just yesterday, that you were basking in the glow of 5K posts.

5Kposter1-vi.jpg
The 6K awards are more sedate. You get to look at this picture:
Untitled1-vi.jpg
And you get some nice pipewear:

custom_bib-vi.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Phil might even agree to that. :evil:
Hardly the same thing my man, and why the angry emoticon!

You take things much too seriously when someone doesn't agree with you. If you wish to believe that storing tobacco will bring about Nirvana for 10 years or more then so be it. It's simply called an opinion and I believe we all have one. Relax... it's not worth getting upset about. :wink:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
So phil,
Do you think that women should be cellared?
Absolutely not, and I think they should be treated as a new tin of tobacco. Purchased and stuffed upon receiving. Then again, those days are long gone by. :wink:

Heck, why would you guys encourage cellaring? If someone doesn't want to cellar or thinks I'm weird for doing so, win/win. That takes a few players off the rat maze, and makes my job a little easier.
Don't cellar.
These are not the bulk buys that you are looking for.
I also encourage you all not to buy anything else from Germains. It'll be like a protest thing. Oh, and while we're at it, stop buying bulldogs. You won't like them.

Thanks you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have never encountered a business owner who was grumpy about SELLING their current inventory/production to eager customers.
Customers are not uniform.
Some want things that can lead you away from your primary mission, which is doing what you do well.
For example, Dunhill probably has 10,000 people write in a year asking why they can't do a Maple-flavored Cavendish like at the drugstore.
And most tobacco consumed still seems to be in "light" cigarettes.

I have never encountered a business owner who was grumpy about SELLING their current inventory/production to eager customers.
think: Soup Nazi... "No soup for you!" We have several businesses like that in our area. I don't think it's essential to kiss a customer's rump to make a sale or prove a point. We seem to have been programmed into a customer is always correct, as opposed to the customer is always right mentality. You can be right, maybe the blend is inconsistent, but you are not correct that that translates into poor quality.
And, when demand is so high that the line is out the door, or that loosing 50% of your customer base still means that you sell out in minutes, then who cares. Just tell them all to go to Hell, and there is still plenty of business to make you happy. Being nice is not a requirement, when demand is lined up out the door. But, if you are not selling out of your product, then you cannot afford to be a dick. Germains seems to be able to say things that Sutliff could not say, as Sutliff seems to give their product away to try and build a customer base. They cannot afford to behave the same way as Germains.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We seem to have been programmed into a customer is always correct, as opposed to the customer is always right mentality.
Great distinction.
To use an analogy from popular music, "the customer is always correct" leads to new Metallica where "the customer is always right" (i.e. treat your base well) leads to Ride the Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.