Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Can someone tell me what those rubber lip protectors are called that you see on some pipes. They look like rubber sleeves. I am guessing they are on there to protect the pipe stem from teeth marks? Who sells them?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Rubber Bits
I like them, though many don't care for them.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=142

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Ah, the gift that keeps on giving. I love an opportunity to role out the classic bondage pictures.
I hate softy bits. I use bondage tape from Kinklab (Spencer Gifts). Works perfectly.
And here we go.

aKhBexq.jpg

5vcGwCc.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Softy bits are also more comfortable for some. I don't like them, either the feel, nor the extra maintenance they require.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aren't those to prevent pregnancy. No, different product. I think many use them to make bits easier on their teeth, but they only cause me to flex my jaw muscle against the softie, like you squeeze one of those hand exerciser balls, and that makes my jaw sore and my teeth tender. I guess I'm a bit tightly wound, as they say. I have used them in the past to make soft MM cob bits last longer, but now I just refit them with Forever acrylic stems or buy the MM stock pipe with acrylic stems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me I found I had to remove them and dry the stem and the bit after every smoke lest my nasty saliva turn the vulcanite grey.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ah, softie bits, the condom of the pipe world.
I hadn't used them until this year. Then I got a Silver Gray Hawkbill and I was like, "This is a better pipe, I want to prevent teeth marks. I'll buy some softie bits.". After a week or two of awkwardly dealing with this strange rubber bit on the stem I just said to myself, "You know, most artisan carvers HATE doing stem work. It's the most difficult/time consuming part of pipe making and here I am bypassing all their time/effort at something they don't like to do. I'm gonna take off this stupid rubber bit and embrace the stem they created even if that means some teeth marks.".
Some people use them also because they bite down hard when they clench so the softie bit helps avoid biting through a stem or screwing up your teeth.
Obviously for me now softie bits are the devil.

Reactions: Ralle P

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I have, I find it very well spent the surprise of the beginning ...

It protects the pipe well, especially in ebonite, and holding the pipe in the mouth (without hands) is well improved!
But it's more aesthetic on some pipes than others.
Attention there are 2 models / size, in doubt to take the smallest

because it's elastic and fits better tight.

(It also exists in white / translucent a bit, I ordered a handful in China for cheap.)

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I have one pipe where the mouthpiece seems to have a very thin walll, and it broke through. I can keep smoking it after putting a softie on it. Other than that, I dont like them.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks for the feedback Team. Plenty to think about. Buy or not to buy? Or maybe buy some of that KinkLab tape and leave it on the wife's side of the bed...

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have to agree with all the other guys for all the same reasons. I gave them a whirl once and similar to Mso I found myself chewing on the damned things. I couldn't stop myself from doing it. Much like one can't prevent chewing on a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille. The result was aching teeth and other annoyances and so they headed straight to the bin.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like them for when I’m driving, otherwise I find they create bad clenching habits for me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have full dentures. I use softee bits on pipes I know I'm going to clench. It protects the stems and my dentures.
I understand how some people don't like the bits because of the way they feel though. It's like me not liking flip flops or sandals where the piece of rubber or leather goes between my toes. I hate those.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
No thanks. Reminds me of my grandmother's couch with the plastic slip over it (some Italians really do that, sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.