PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
The Flake will be in tins,

I've kind of grown fond of the pouches because they're better suited for travel on the go,

easier to transport, and the thermo-tray they use is unique and sort of neat.
The Ready Rubbed will still be in pouches.
This is what I understand from my readings on the subject,

I could be wrong.
Would love to get a solid confirmation on the topic.
:puffy:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Would love to get a solid confirmation on the topic.
Yep, looks like we are getting the Tins back if you prefer the ST.Bruno Flake. According to Sutliff's website, they now have St.Bruno RR and the Flake listed. 50g RR in the pouches and 50g Flake in the Tin. Totally stoked about the Flake being in the Tin again! :)
Eric

May 31, 2012
According to Sutliff's website, they now have St.Bruno RR and the Flake listed. 50g RR in the pouches and 50g Flake in the Tin.
Hey Eric brother,

gotta link there to Sutliff?
Thanks!
Appreciate the confirmation!

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Hey Eric brother,

gotta link there to Sutliff?
Thanks!
Appreciate the confirmation!
Troy, I believe I just Googled it, Sutliff Tobacco Co., it is listed under Mac Baren products, but no prices listed yet. Hope this helps brother! :)

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The best there is. Been years since I bought St. Bruno in a tin, be nice to see again.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Glad to hear that St.Bruno will be available here ! A friend scored some somewhere and sent me samples of the Ready Rubbed and the Flake. I really like both. When I asked him where I could buy it he said you can't-yet!

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
In a tin means I can age it...... :worship:
Which means I am going to stash it up in my cellar like :crazy:
I too am glad the Flake is returning in the Tin, better for long term cellaring me thinks, I do like the pouches for ease of carrying though. No problem though, just rub out what you need for the day, and break out the roll up pouch.

May 31, 2012
I'm sorta glad to see the tins return,

and hopefully they'll look good.
I won't be too excited if they use the later generic looking art, and will likely break open the tins for jarring anyway.
Oddly, perhaps somewhat counterintuitively, I've come to prefer the pouches,

they're great for carrying around and easy to load a bowl out of too,

just an ease of convenience thing, but also a comfort thing.

May 31, 2012
I am very disappointed with the price point of St. Bruno.
Add my voice to the chorus of the eff Mac Baren crowd.
I'm unsure if it's them or the American distributors who came up with the ridiculous price,

but it's really goofy and a real pisser that I can get St. Bruno Flake shipped over here from England for cheaper than it's now being sold in the States.
Mac Baren has come a long way since their "McBite" days as many oldtime smokers knew them due to the sugar casings they favored --- the embrace of the British methods by Mac Baren have made some strides to squash that nickname, but they are still prone to producing overly mild and innocuous baccy in the Danish tradition --- it doesn't seem that Mac Baren is capable of making a truly stout tobacco.
And if it's true that the new tins have a "vinegar warning" on the paper insert inside the tin, that's silly too haha

St. Bruno has always traditionally had a balsamic element and I guess the "vinegar warning" is because the tins tend to rust on the inside?
The recipe has most certainly degraded, both the leaf composition and the flavour, there's no way that it couldn't after being passed through so many hands, Mac Baren got it from Orlik who got it from British American Tobacco who got it from Imperial Tobacco who got it from Ogden's of Liverpool --- BAT was in "bean counter" mode anyway when they shut down Murray's and started getting everything made in Denmark so the recipe integrity wasn't really of concern to them anyway, they were looking to cut production costs.
In short it means that Mac Baren has been producing the blends according to the recipes we were handed over from Imperial Tobacco. So if the english pipe smokers since 2006 didn't taste a difference I see no reason why anybody else would.
I beg to differ.
There were plenty of complaints from oldtime pipemen when St. Bruno production was originally shifted to Denmark and made by Orlik,

but old British codgers aren't exactly "online people" so their complaints weren't plastered all over the internet.
If the recipe was used in conjunction with a sense of history and more careful researching into the blend and what constituted its attributes in the glory days of what actually made it a legend, then that'd be great --- but just because you inherited a recipe doesn't mean that you're matching the stuff as it was made in the UK --- take Three Nuns for example, to manufacture it without perique is a prime example of disregarding the historical truths and instead relying on watered-down recipes that had been adjusted by the accounting department to fatten the bottom line for BAT/Imperial, there could have been an attempt to acquire the earlier versions of the recipe, especially since money changed hands it would seem that the archival processing methods and recipe could have been obtained as well.
Just my 2 pennies in the pond.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I am very disappointed with the price point of St. Bruno.
I have to agree, I won't be purchasing any of what I consider to be overpriced blends. There are plenty of wonderful blends available for under $10, to take advantage of hype and charge almost double of others just means they won't be getting my money. Penzance is available at a reasonable price despite the stampede to purchase it whenever available and the ridiculous prices it can fetch online.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
St Bruno can be had at Heathrow's Terminal 5 for about $40 for five 50g pouches. That's $8 per pouch. I can live with that. $16? No way!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I have. The flavoring is very similar, but the constituent tobaccos are nowhere close. Danish tobaccos are much of a muchness...sometimes I think there's one flake recipe and it's only the toppings that change.
You want one that was completely emasculated, try some Erinmore Flake. That went from a fruity bruiser to a complete lightweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.