PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I won't be happy until you can buy Condor and Velvan any place where Marlboro "Lights" are currently sold.

May 31, 2012
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but am withholding hurrahs until I taste the product and determine that it's real St. Bruno, and not repackaged ODF.
I can totally relate to that.
I hope the rumors aren't true and they'll be doing it up proper.
I'm clueless about such things, but it would seem that the purchase of the brands would also include the pertinent recipes and processing methods --- but even with that information it will undoubtedly be changed from the STG version, it's just a question of if it'll be for the better or for the worse...
...I hope it's for the better!
I can only await the new edition and not really know the verdict until it is burning in my pipe,

shall it remain a saint?
Or shall it be altered into a demon?

:?:
btw,

one of Ogden's older brands was Demon Flake,

I hope Mac Baren didn't get the wrong recipe by mistake!
aqkqGki.jpg

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
If the rumors are that the present St. Bruno is just repacked HH Old Dark Fired - the rumors are wrong. St. Bruno is one of kind and very much it's own blend. The recipe we got from Imperial Tobacco back in 2006 when we took over the production of St. Bruno, Amphora and the rest of the tobaccos from Imperial Tobacco. In short it means that Mac Baren has been producing the blends according to the recipies we were handed over from Imperial Tobacco. So if the english pipe smokers since 2006 didn't taste a difference I see no reason why anybody else would. Besides we could not use the recipe for anything but St. Bruno legaly. So HH Old Dark Fired was developed from the start as a HH tobacco and it consists of other tobaccos and casing than St. Bruno. I hope that clarifies this topic :)

May 31, 2012
If the rumors are that the present St. Bruno is just repacked HH Old Dark Fired - the rumors are wrong. St. Bruno is one of kind and very much it's own blend. The recipe we got from Imperial Tobacco back in 2006 when we took over the production of St. Bruno, Amphora and the rest of the tobaccos from Imperial Tobacco. In short it means that Mac Baren has been producing the blends according to the recipies we were handed over from Imperial Tobacco. So if the english pipe smokers since 2006 didn't taste a difference I see no reason why anybody else would. Besides we could not use the recipe for anything but St. Bruno legaly. So HH Old Dark Fired was developed from the start as a HH tobacco and it consists of other tobaccos and casing than St. Bruno. I hope that clarifies this topic :)
Mr. Jensen,

Thank you so much for replying.
Your comment does indeed clarify things!
I was under the impression that St. Bruno was being made by STG for Imperial because it's widely circulated online to be the case,

for example:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1249/ogden-st-bruno-flake
...but I guess it's just another one of those myths that are rampant on the internet.
Very glad to have the record set straight!
I was unaware that Mac Baren has been making St. Bruno since 2006,

you have been doing a great job with it as I love it and it tastes wonderful,

very well done!

:clap:
I am extremely excited to have St. Bruno returning to the USA and I give you my deep heartfelt thanks for bringing it back here.
Thank you.

:puffy:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
I am extremely excited to have St. Bruno returning to the USA and I give you my deep heartfelt thanks for bringing it back here.
Thank you.
The Patron Saint of Pipe smokers!
:)

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
In what world could ODF pass for St Bruno?
I just hope it's the same stuff I got in pouches from overseas years ago before the whole, flakes have to be X thick to prove they aren't cigarette tobacco thing.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thank you for providing us with the clarification Mr. Jensen, I have a feeling it's going to be tough to keep St. Bruno in stock for quite some time after it does cross the pond.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
I have been patiently (not really) awaiting the release of St. Bruno. On the Sutliff website, it states that St. Bruno Flake will be released in 50g tins, and St. Bruno Ready-Rubbed will be available in 50g pouches. I plan on buying plenty of both...

May 31, 2012
I've broken into my stash...
:)

...it's good to have to not ration St. Bruno anymore!
I'm dangerously low because I've neglected ordering any since it will soon be available here,

hope the tins look cool, I think it'd be great if they used tin artwork from the earlier times as it looks much better than the rather generic later versions.
I hope the price point is advantageous also,

it will be somewhat funny, but sad too, if it finally comes back only to be listed for $17 or something,

which is around what I was paying for the pouches!

Wouldn't be too much of a difference then, besides now being in a tin.
Regardless,

totally stoked.

:puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
+1 on the tins. Got some last year from Spain and it was a great deal so I'm also hoping it's priced comparative to other blends. I have trouble paying over ten for a tin when Peterson's 3P's sells for nine.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
hope the tins look cool.

I didn't realise we would be getting tins. I am so glad because tins are much easier for aging tobacco, and will save a lot of money in not buying jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.