PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Okay, enough of this "new episodes on 1/3/2016". From the London Telegraph date 12/31/2015: ".....hanging like a delicious tease until the fourth series, commissioned but as yet unfilmed, arrives on our screens in 2017."
KCghost, I was mistaken, it is another program I have been waiting for on the 3rd.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
How was the christmas special?

Im planning to watch it later today

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
It was pretty cute. Some nice Victoriana eye candy, and there is indeed [tobacciana spoiler deleted] in the [tobacciana spoiler deleted].

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
How was the christmas special?
I can only describe the manic manifestation of Holmes from my own perspective. A perspective riddled with the disappointment of a middle aged pipe smokers, cocaine riddled advance through time. Landing him in a poorly written, hastened production with little to no detective work and an apparent lack of pipe friendly intuition. Stumbling forward through mazes of short witted quips and a terrible story line, while channeling Doctor Who like nuances that remove the brilliance which is Holmes.
To be short, it was terrible.

Carbon

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't like it either, and most of the time, the pipes weren't even lit. I'm not sure I actually saw either Holmes or Watson take a puff of smoke. God forbid we should see smoke coming from a pipe.
The story was weak and insipid.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Well, I will lit my Scott Hudson poker, stuff it with some Frog Morton and watch it after my 11 hour night shift anyhow!
They have done a very good job with this series, and to to produce same consistent quality is probably difficult. I cant on top of my head name another fictional character from the litterature, who is more diffecult to reproduce for TV. I like the supernatural/occult take on the cases, like the Hound of Baskerville (with J.Brett). But if its over the top, and over to Sci-Fi they loose me.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I packed my pipe, brewed some tea; and put on the stream for BBC (mad rhymes, I know).
At first I liked it. The setting and the atmosphere was really nice, but slowly and slowly it became more annoying than anything. Especially with the 'twist' (which was basically hinted several times by the wall breaks) it just lost its value to me, and the conclusion of the case came literally out of nowhere. We got to see some cameos every now and then, and whatever we got also got killed by that 'twist.'
I wouldn't go as far as calling it terrible like @carbonmated, but it wasn't what I expected. Although, nothing even close by any means.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Still my favorite article on Sherlock, even if it's from a known lunatic outlet:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/01/the-3-pipe-solution-the-underrated-creativity-of-sherlock-holmes/266843/

Status
Not open for further replies.