PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Tobaccopipes.com has Hal ó Wynd and Marlin flake available now if anyone missed out on it.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
giphy.gif

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I didn't get the stuff this time, but honestly is it all hype, is it actually good? Or is it for collecting purposes only?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I remember when Rattray's was everywhere! I know these are excellent blends but I did not expect them to be in such high demand. I've only had 1 opportunity to buy Hal o' the Wynd and Marlin Flake this year but I didn't realize how rare they were recently so I focused on other blends. (Namely on McClelland, which was closing)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I didn't get the stuff this time, but honestly is it all hype, is it actually good? Or is it for collecting purposes only?
Rattray's is one of the fine old marques that have been around for just about ever. They're good blends. Marlin flake is terrific and I'm very fond of HOTW. I have no idea why they've been in short supply. Maybe Kolhase & Kopp have too many blends to make or hasn't been able to get the components they need.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I managed to pick up some Astleys 44 and 109, several F&T blends including CVP, several Wessex blends and some Marlin Flake. Not as much as I wanted but better than nothing.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Smoking Pipes sent me emails too.

So I ordered the Ennerdale and Bob’s Chocolate Flake they said was back in stock.

A little later I saw I missed the email that Marlin Flake was back in stock, then that it was out of stock already.

Good times.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Received my Rattray's Exotic Passion from SP today. They tossed in a sample of Mac Baren's fluffy pipe cleaners with it. Smoking a bowl as I type this. Initially didn't taste any orange until I got further down into the bowl. Very good... definitely will purchase more in the future.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
How long has this Rattray shortage been ongoing?
When I came back to pipe smoking, I observed that the disappearance of McClelland seemingly caused a run on Hal of the Wind (being one of the best remaining red Virginia blends) that extended to the rest of the Rattray line. Or so it appeared...
Has this been occurring for much longer than the past six months or so? I may have just arrived in the midst of a fresh Rattray shipment because everything was in stock for an extended period of time back in January.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
How long has this Rattray shortage been ongoing?
When I came back to pipe smoking, I observed that the disappearance of McClelland seemingly caused a run on Hal of the Wind (being one of the best remaining red Virginia blends) that extended to the rest of the Rattray line. Or so it appeared...
Has this been occurring for much longer than the past six months or so? I may have just arrived in the midst of a fresh Rattray shipment because everything was in stock for an extended period of time back in January.
The pipe smoking community is now in a constant state of panic-buying and hoarding. SG, GH, Rattray, Wessex, Solani.... pretty much everything goes out of stock within minutes these days. I think it's a knock-on effect of equal parts McClelland fallout, FDA paranoia, and Esoterica mania.

keyboardman

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
I saw the in stock email a half hour after it was sent and was able to get a tin each of Exotic Passion, Old Gowrie, and Bagpiper's Dream. My first experience with Rattray's as I am a new pipe smoker and haven't been able to get any until now. Very fine tobacco and the aromatics are by far the best I've tried so far!
A few hours later I went on SP and everything was gone but Bagpiper's Dream. They changed the limit from 5 per day to 10 and now that's gone as well.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never tried any Rattray's. Out of curiosity, looked at a US site I figured might have a fairly good supply and they did-even Stirling Flake. Good thing the blends I buy don't get snatched up by the hoarders as I cannot afford to compete in that league. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.