PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Harris, I thought you told us on another thread that you look incredibly goofy in hats. That was a self-deprecating admission that was humorous and at the same time quite believable. For our collective clarity, are you lying now or were you lying then?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
How about a matching propeller beanie?

Propellerbeanie-1.jpg
:rofl:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
T-shirt slogan suggestion: I made Preferred Member on PM Forums and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Or - aim for the stars - a pipe lighter
If Kevin ever had that made that would instantly become my most beloved lighter. Unfortunaly all the older members say none of this will happen, but a man can dream.

~Ron

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I understand what has been said in the past and Cortez always has great ideas for merchandising, but I really don't see why not. I mean we did do a PM magazine Meerschaum pipe once upon a time. A tshirt is a simple thing to make, maybe it is too much trouble shipping them out or something, but I would think the advertising, especially at pipe shows and pipe clubs would be worth it, you might could even put all the sponsors on the back or something if they were interested.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
This is a fantastic idea. I would most definitely be putting in an order in "Fella Size" XXXL.

Still waiting for Kevin to chime in. :worship:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
This isn't definitive, but I'm 95% sure Kevin will say no. He always has in the past and I don't think anything has changed. Yes, there was the PM meer, but I'm pretty sure that was a fluke, not the start of something. Now I could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
-Jason

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well I think I will have a "The Pipery" shirt made up and maybe give out a free shirt with each custom pipe purchase at the Chicago show or something. I've been looking at pipe related T-shirts and there are lots of cool ones out there perfect to wear to a show or pipe club.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I would also like to add my voice to the "Can we have some basic PM.com merchandise, please?" crowd.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The merchandizing parodies I occasionally post are a lighthearted poke at a controversy that arose, what, it must be 3 or more years ago. At that time a well meaning group of guys, who were very active and valuable members of the forums, btw, came up with a well meaning scheme to express their camaraderie and enthusiasm for the site: a PM.com Pipe Of The Year.
The whole scheme, as I called it, was cobbled together with a garage band mentality that failed to take into account such things as investment capital, inventory issues, taxes, product liability, trademarks, sales projection, legal accountability of the producers, and what I am sure are a host of other business issues that I am not even aware of. All of this, and for what? The sale of maybe 30 or 40 pipes -- with next to no profit, or maybe even at a loss?
We here in the forums have a club mentality, and the palpable goodwill and lighthearted rapport that exists is not lost on Kevin -- he may even find it a source of edification. But we should always be mindful that for us, this is recreation, information, and access to the hobby; but for Kevin it is the way he makes his mortgage payment and puts food on the table.
I can't speak for him, but I can understand why merchandizing is not a part of his business model. Folks should realize that this is plowed ground, and Kevin has thought about these things before. Personally, I think he should stick with what he has proven that he does best -- journalism. The best way to identify with, and express your support for, this community of ours is to support the website sponsors.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
One of the biggest problems I have is that t-shirt quality from places like cafe press is horrible and overpriced. If you want good quality screen printed shirts you generally have to pre-buy 50-100 shirts yourself from a t-shirt vendor. Until... these guys came around: http://teespring.com/
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAzDPq40mM#t=23
You setup a "campaign" with a shirt and then if enough people buy the shirt it gets printed and shipped.
Teespring allows you to create & sell custom tees with zero upfront costs, and zero risk.

Create & sell t-shirts online the easy way. No paying thousands of dollars upfront, no guessing how many shirts or what sizes you'll need, and no passing out t-shirts one by one and chasing people down for cash.
Anyway - if we want to go that route. I can mock up some ideas based on this and put something up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.