PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I've been studiously avoiding weighing in here, but I think I probably should at this point.
In 2017, Colorado started requiring out of state sellers to either collect sales tax or report sales to CO and the customer. This isn't new: we've been complying with this law for a year. I can't speak to why others are or aren't doing it: maybe they're too small, maybe they're non-compliant, maybe they're compliant but their customer communication on the subject isn't as robust as Smokingpipes'.
As of December 1st, we have to move to collecting and remitting sales tax directly to CO anyway, so this reporting stuff will become moot soon enough. I can walk through the various laws and changes over the past few years, but anyone actually curious can google the relevant information.
But, yeah, it's law; it's legal law; it's a thing. We take privacy concerns really seriously, which sounds trite, but is also why we're very up front and public about what we're doing. Note, of course, that the initial post was prompted by us telling the OP exactly what and how we were doing it (of course, somehow a detailed explanation of reporting for sales tax purposes to Colorado became reporting to the IRS, which is not the case). We're going to comply with laws we're obliged to comply with, but we're as protective of our customers as we can be, so we don't entertain information fishing expeditions or broad requests. In situations where we--me, compliance at Laudisi, outside counsel--don't think the agency in question has the authority to request information, we simply say no and try to provide some combination of redacted examples and meta-data that will tell them what they need to know without exposing privileged information.
And we have never, ever provided information to state or federal agencies about customers without notifying customers before they initiate the transaction (hence the information about Colorado's laws peppered into the checkout process if the destination address is in CO).
Sykes

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I got the notice last year from them in Colorado. Reporting it well, that is another matter.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Thanks for the clear explanation, Sykes.
I did make a mistake on my initial posting by saying it was a IRS issue, then was corrected by another member and I apologized for it.
My experieces with tax issues (whether they be fed or state) is that Uncle Scam catches you sooner or later. Unless you're filthy rich ------ or a politician. OK, that should close the thread, lol.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Just out curiosity, is this required reporting retroactive?

Mike S.
No. We made it clear from checkout for Colorado customers at the same time we were obliged to start reporting, so only customers who were notified that their gross purchase value (but not the items) would be reported were reported.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Clear as a bell, Sykes. Unfortunate, but clear!
I wonder if kola might request a change in the title, as it's more inflammatory than it need be, as well as inaccurate.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sykes said: No. We made it clear from checkout for Colorado customers at the same time we were obliged to start reporting, so only customers who were notified that their gross purchase value (but not the items) would be reported were reported.
Thanks. So, State sales tax only. I figured they might demand at least the tax year's info.

Mike S.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I live in Arizona and Smokingpipes charges me sales tax whereas tobaccopipes and P&C don't. It makes a difference in where I purchase pipes and tobacco.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just placed an order with Cigars International and was surprised to see sales tax added. I am not in their state.
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just placed an order with Cigars International and was surprised to see sales tax added. I am not in their state.
Being in the same state as the seller has no bearing. Did they charge you at your state's rate? That's what they're now obligated to do, collect your state's sales tax and send it to your state.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's exactly what they did. I was just surprised to see it, as it had not happened before.
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...
jay-roger.jpg

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Problem is the state of Colorado. I see the day with forced health care that tobacco purchases will be restricted.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I do recall the last order I placed with SP they tacked on sales tax to it. Don't recall getting a message from them regarding the state of Nevada.
I never really gave much thought to sales tax ever being enforced on internet sales, but it does make sense. As the saying goes, Uncle Sam always finds a way to get his money.
I'll continue to order from SP, because first and foremost they have the nicest most knowledgeable people in the biz working for them and second they tend to have more products that aren't in stock elsewhere. You're also not going to run across a better place to acquire estate pipes from either. Best clean up work, pictures, and they overall dimension the pipe so you know exactly what you're getting. On top of that trading in pipes to them for store credit is the easiest process I've ever gone through.
Sykes, Shane, Kaz, Chip, Andy, Chuck, Josh, Adam and the rest of the crew at both SmokingPipes and SmokingPipes Europe thanks for all you do for the community. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is NOT "Uncle Sam" (the Feds) doing this. It is a few states, and will probably spread to all of them except Alaska. (unless Amazon buys the state)
I too wish Happy TD to the staff of SP as well as all brothers of the briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.