Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I already pay PA taxes from PipesandCigars since I live in PA so no big deal there. I also keep a folder in my email account that I put in my taxable transactions from other states to be used for tax time. I have been paying PA use taxes on out of state purchases for years. If I buy $3000.00 in purchases I owe the State of PA $180.00. No matter how I look at it that $180.00 is less than a lawyer would cost me for an hour of his time. To me it's a small price to pay to not be aggravated.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
this may be a revival of the B&M shops which will now have more comparable prices.
Can't revive something that does not exist. That's the problem in my area...

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If an online retailer to shipping into Colorado and not reporting the sales to the Colorado tax folks they will eventually have a problem.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If an online retailer to shipping into Colorado and not reporting the sales to the Colorado tax folks they will eventually have a problem.
Incorrect. If your State has a tax, you need to accrue and pay separately. The online vendor is not responsible for Sales tax unless they are located in the State or sell a high % of sales into that State.

Dec 24, 2012
This is a Colorado state law that SP is seeking to comply with and, in light of the recent SCOTUS decision in Wayfair, they obviously feel they must comply or risk fairly severe penalties. That law requires reporting to the Colorado Department of Revenue of sales by out-of-state vendors into Colorado where the vendor's total gross sales into Colorado are more than $100k in a calendar year.
Many states are following suit, either requiring reporting or actual collection of the tax. In most cases the threshhold is at least $100k of sales or reaching a prescribed number of transactions in that state in a calendar year.
Hard to blame SP for complying with the law. If you have an issue, speak to your elected state representative and complain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As I mentioned I don't care if SP charges tax, just add it on my bill. I was just wondering why SP does it that way in comparison to other tobacco retailers.
They're probably trying to avoid the headache of calculating the tax for all of the states and municipalities involved, potentially hundreds of different rates. If they're legally required to collect the tax they will have to figure that out.
I've always paid the use tax. I've expected that it was inevitable that taxes would be levied on internet sales. The use tax gets credited against any state tax that I owe, so it's a zero sum deal for me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well it looks like Colorado is the problem. If you live there change the law at the ballot box or not. It may be worth paying some tax so that internet commerce can survive.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I live part-time in CO and in AZ. Yep CO appears to be a singled out state-taxy'-issue going after the vendor having $100k+ in sales.
I guess the other vendors that don't affix that tax clause in their orders is because they don't make $100k - or they refuse to play. If the latter, and as someone mentioned, they'll get snagged eventually.
Once again, I'm not bitching about paying the tax (tag it on my bill) nor do I want to attempt to change the "law" (ain't gonna happen IMHO) I just wondered why SP is the only vendor doing it. Now, I guess I know. Maybe. Why maybe? I tend to think some other vendors easily rake in $100k in sales but I could be wrong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many states are following suit, either requiring reporting or actual collection of the tax. In most cases the threshold is at least $100k of sales or reaching a prescribed number of transactions in that state in a calendar year.

That is scary that a state could force collection of the tax; reporting is bad enough. I guess Amazon has bitten the bullet and just charges it upfront, then remits to the State that imposes it- wonder how many states that is?

Hard to blame SP for complying with the law. If you have an issue, speak to your elected state representative and complain.

Absolutely, though it's more fun to bitch and moan. (I do no different).

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Does anyone that advises "change it at the ballot box" have any positive experiences of ever having successfully done so themselves? You know, I mean, really rallying the base and advocating a cause. Unless you're a career politician, it doesn't seem very practical. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Does anyone that advises "change it at the ballot box" have any positive experiences of ever having successfully done so themselves? You know, I mean, really rallying the base and advocating a cause. Unless you're a career politician, it doesn't seem very practical. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.
Lol. This.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Politics is forbidden on this site. So elaborating on that statement is impossible for anyone to do. Changing your representatives is the only action you have. To answer your question Ron, no. Good luck changing a tax law. But really is there anything you can do besides what Peck and I advised? :rofl:
Also using statements as a foil to prop up politics is only going to create click bait and the occasional Anonymous Declaration.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Ron, you have my exact same hair do. Left to right business man haircut, that’s what my wife calls it

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Birth, Death, Taxes... sorry, I meant to say Taxes, Birth, Taxes, Death, Taxes, Birth.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Alan, I go to the same barber all the time, and he still always asks How do you want it? I always say, Just normal...I'll go with Left to right business man's cut, the next time I'm there LOL

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012

Incorrect. If your State has a tax, you need to accrue and pay separately. The online vendor is not responsible for Sales tax unless they are located in the State or sell a high % of sales into that State.
Again, all untaxed online sales into Colorado need to be reported to Colorado tax people!!

Status
Not open for further replies.