PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I do love stories like these and I'm glad the thread has been revived.
Last week I was in Manhattan and went for a cup of coffee at a lunchonette. I had my 1932 Vernon tenon Dunhill pipe (I posted pics last month) in my mouth when a 20 something year old came over to me and admired my pipe. I explained what it was (he turned out to be European) and mentioned that pipe smoking is resurging as a pastime for many college students (ok, I fibbed a little). He said he was considering it, too.
Just a nice little moment in time.
Allan

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
On Canada Day this year I smoked my pipe in public for the very first time up at my trailer in Northern Ontario. Its a big to do with a live band, a bbq and a few other big get togethers. I got stopped half a dozen times by people complimenting me on my pipe. I got a few "hey that pipe looks good on you" but mostly I was told how great the smell was (I was smoking Carter Hall). Most people loved the smell of the good old tobacco.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I tend to smoke throughout the day, if I'm not at work. Most of my experiences have been positive. I'm in the City (NYC) quite a bit, and I'm an unabashed lunter, hoofing with pipe clenched. On these jauntsn public I'll usually smoke CBW or 1Q or Seven Seas, although 90% of the time I'm a Latakia smoker. Sure I'll get stares, but the way I see it I'm re-introducing pipe smoking to the public, as it once was common. I feel its my civic duty. LOL. Strangest experience: Some girl who wanted to light her cigarette from my pipe bowl. Don't know why, but I obliged her.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
Loving these stories.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a BBQ and I brought my pipe and some 1-Q, I was not sure if I was going to be able to smoke seeing there was no one else smoking anything. Then to my delight another guest showed up smoking a pipe. Later someone else started to smoke a cigar so the three of us sat talking about how this is one of the last libraties we have left. The 2 other men both are attorneys for the state and were talking about the good old days when you could smoke in the capital building, me being at least 20 yrs longer loved to hear about the good ole' days.

Aug 14, 2012
I was smoking a Dunhill Oom Paul Shell outside a west side NYC bar. A friend from the bar came out for a cigarette. He wanted to try the pipe. I would normally say no, but I like and trust this individual, so I let him have a few drags. He said "cool pipe," handed it back and lit his cigarette.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Love the stories! I wish I could contribute, but I quit smoking in public about 5 years ago. My blood pressure can't stand the Smoking Nazis of Washington state.
For semi-public, I'm trying to figure out how to balance my pipe, walking stick, flask, camera, and the dog while hiking. Might have to learn to travel lighter and leave the dog and stick at home.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
A number of times my friend and I have smoked our pipes in public. So far we have never had any one give us a hassle. Most of the people we have encountered have been very pleasant and several have commented on how nice that smells. I usually smoke Hiland's Black Gold when in public.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I had an entertaining experience over the 4th holiday this year. My brother and I were at a non-chain hotel (a really cool place out in South Dakota that used to be a school for the blind). We were enjoying pipes and drinks late at night, completely alone out on a patio with a fireplace. About midnight, 3 kids who looked to be about 12 came up smoking cigarettes. One looked at me and said:
"Woah. You smoking bud?"
"No, I'm not smoking bud."
"Hookah."
"Uh, this is not a hookah, no."
"So what is it?"
"Just a regular tobacco pipe, with regular tobacco..."
"Oh. Cool."
So that is now my favorite line to use. "Whoah. You smokin' buuuuuuuuud?"

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So far my best smoking in public experience was having a bowl on the patio of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Chandler Arizona. I was down there for work and had made a Sunday ritual of heading down for a breakfast of wings and fries to watch the football game. After the meal I'd have a bowl. One day a couple of moms and their daughters were there for someone's birthday, the girls were around 6 or 7. I lit up the bowl and one of the girls goes, "Mommy I smell marshmallows.". Yes I was smoking 1Q lol.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Just last week I was down on an archaeological dig in Cambridgeshire. Unfortunately I only came down half way through the dig so the group of other students there was pretty well formed. Despite this, upon producing my pipe and lighting up I became almost instantly the centre of attention as everybody gathered round to ask questions and compliment me upon it. I was instantly welcomed into the group like I'de been there from day one! As a result of the 'humble' pipe I had a truly fantastic time and gained some great friends for life.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I was at a bbq the other night. The host couple are both smokers, and one other guy had Copenhagen. I went to my truck and brought back my Peterson Kinsale, a can of Frog Morton Cellar and a box of matches. We sat around the fire, I enjoyed my pipe, and not once did anyone even mention it. Usually expect a few comments or an interested glace, but nothing!

simba

Lurker
Mar 19, 2016
i smoke pipe anywhere. of course, in smoking permitted area. don't worry, smoking is very welcome here so practically i can smoke (almost) everywhere.
i have to admit that pipe smoking is somewhat very attractive. i don't mind people looking at me. even their curiousity makes me fun. sometime i got new girlfriend joins my table. question about pipe smoking is a proven to be an effective ice breaking :-lol
while in most countries, pipe smoking is recognized as "grandpa" activity, in this place, i can found many of young people around 20-30 are smoking pipe.
i think i'm living in pipe smoker's heaven. i can smoke everywhere, anytime, and have positive respons :)
just take a look in my album. i posted several pictures when we were gathering :)
cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.